We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Drone, ham radio destroyed amid headbutting assault  (Read 3519 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Drone, ham radio destroyed amid headbutting assault
« on: September 15, 2014, 1155 UTC »
AUSTIN (KXAN) – An Austin man is facing charges after police say he tossed a drone and a ham radio over the fence because he was tired of his neighbor “getting in his head.”

Steven Anthony Garza faces an assault charge in connection with the incident. According to the arrest affidavit filed by Austin Police, Garza stormed into Matthew Hammons’ yard while Hammons was using his amateur radio equipment to talk with his father. Hammons told police Garza charged him while making gestures indicating he was looking to fight. Hammons told officers Garza first broke his radio’s antenna and then headbutted him; Hammons went inside.

While inside his home, Hammons told police he watched as Garza threw his Yaesu 857D radio and a personal DJI Phantom drone over the fence causing $4,000 in damage.

Garza told the officers Hammons was using the equipment to spy on him and was using “triangulation” to speak to him in his head.

http://qrznow.com/drone-ham-radio-destroyed-amid-headbutting-assault/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
Re: Drone, ham radio destroyed amid headbutting assault
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 1157 UTC »
No, Really ? 'Ya Think ?
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Offline radiogaga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 2035 UTC »
Tinfoil tinfoil tinfoil... ;)

Don't forget "talk like a pirate day" this Friday..... ;D

radiogaga

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 2259 UTC »
Hmmm....haven't heard from Orbital Mind Control Satellite lately :o
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 0212 UTC »
look at the sign-post up ahead... you are entering into 'The Twilight Zone'....

hey... busting up federally licensed radio gear is a Federal crime... so saith Hiram the old Buzzard.... brrrrrrrr....
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 0447 UTC »
An interesting case. While I'm not acquainted with Texas branches of these families, I am familiar with the local variants.

Garza's tend to be very bright and reliable when their not having a "spell".  When they're having a "spell" all bets are off. One I knew went all Fansome about '84. He went into a rage over a pop can on his desk being thrown away by housekeeping. Who knew you could create cold fusion in a Tab can? He didn't come back to work for a long time.

Hammons' are onery and have mean streak. I'm surprised Mr. Hammons didn't shoot the fella on the spot. That being said, any Hammons worth his salt, when faced with a crazy neighbor is going to mess with him. I bet Pop and the boy had a grand ol' time making him think they were peeking into his windows.

Great Uncle Claude Hammons would be proud.

Offline audiokaos

• Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 2024 UTC »
Hmmmmm, I wonder how big a drone would have to be to hold an antenna aloft....
Using Kenwood TS930SAT, Dipole cut for 15M
please qsl audiokaos at gee mail dot com.

Offline OMCS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 2205 UTC »
The Ham Radio License clearly states that the operator isn't allowed to get into anyone's head.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 1144 UTC »
That's why I never got license, OMCS.

I've got Fansome hiding in his closet waiting for a penguin invasion as I type this. All I have to do is fire up the tx and yodel and he goes to ground.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 2342 UTC »
I use sun bounce communications to spy on half a world at a time. The roundtrip time delay is not a problem as I live 31.8 minutes in the future.
Minneapolis, MN

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns