We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Bluegrass music on shortwave  (Read 2275 times)

Offline jordan

• View Profile
Bluegrass music on shortwave
« on: September 24, 2014, 0328 UTC »
Suppose someone were to play an entire bluegrass CD album some evening on 6930 kHz AM.  Would the listener likely listen to the entire thing?  How many listeners do you think it would draw?

Fansome

Re: Bluegrass music on shortwave
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 0355 UTC »
I'd listen, and I'd bet that a lot of others would also.

There used to be a Bluegrass artist who had a show on WBCQ, a commercial shortwave station that is rumored to have pirate connections and roots. He played music from his personal Bluegrass music archive, as well as his own music. He was unusual in that he was blind. I don't know if he is still producing shows, but I always enjoyed the ones that I heard.

Radio Appalachia, a pirate that plays a lot of Bluegrass, comes on the air from time to time, to this day. They are usually  logged by a lot of people.

As to how many would listen, the size of pirate radio audiences has been subject to debate for a long time. Probably the best estimate would come from the number of QSL requests that current pirates get for each broadcast, and of course they are not likely to talk about this. I have heard that 50 or so requests is a healthy number, so taking into account that people who hear broadcasts are highly unlikely to ask for a QSL, I would make a wild guess that maybe 1000 listeners might be the upper limit on those that might hear a broadcast in the USA. Overseas, it's a conundrum.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 0412 UTC by Fansome »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 0432 UTC »
Shoot! I can't remember that guys name, Al. He was relayed in Europe by the guy who used to relay Laser Hot Hits for a number of years.

I actually relayed a couple of his shows Stateside in the early 2000's. I've still got the tape around somewhere.

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 2327 UTC »
May be that was Bluegrass State of Mind by Danny Haller?

http://dannyhaller.com
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/

Fansome

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 0159 UTC »
Yeah, that's the guy. I haven't listened to his show (or WBCQ, for that matter) for quite some time, but I thought it was pretty good.

May be that was Bluegrass State of Mind by Danny Haller?

http://dannyhaller.com