We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Good Antenna for Raspberry Pi  (Read 4068 times)

Offline The Insomniac

• View Profile
Good Antenna for Raspberry Pi
« on: September 27, 2014, 2215 UTC »
I got a Pi a while back and I've played around with it a bit. I downloaded a program that I can run on it that let's it broadcast on FM and HF spectrum through one of the pins on its board. What would be a good antenna for me to attach to it to broadcast shortwave?

Offline audiokaos

• Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Good Antenna for Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 1402 UTC »
After a LPF, the proper antenna for the band that you'd be using it for... The Raspberry Pi's GPIO is *very* noisy & harmonic. A LPF is very much needed.
Using Kenwood TS930SAT, Dipole cut for 15M
please qsl audiokaos at gee mail dot com.

Offline The Insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 2239 UTC »
Got it. So essentially, after I get the LPF, I'll just need an antenna tuned for the shortwave band I choose. Any broadcasters recommend a frequency or band, or is 6925 kHz good? Other than that, Woo hoo! I can combine my two favorite hobbies!

Offline audiokaos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 1615 UTC »
Got it. So essentially, after I get the LPF, I'll just need an antenna tuned for the shortwave band I choose. Any broadcasters recommend a frequency or band, or is 6925 kHz good? Other than that, Woo hoo! I can combine my two favorite hobbies!

Pretty much - However afaik Raspberry Pi only uses the FM mode so apart from digital & actual FM I'm not sure what you might use it for. AM/SSB I believe is not possible with it - at least yet..<g> Check this out for some info on setting up LPF's and antennas-

https://github.com/threeme3/WsprryPi

Offline The Insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 2040 UTC »

Pretty much - However afaik Raspberry Pi only uses the FM mode so apart from digital & actual FM I'm not sure what you might use it for. AM/SSB I believe is not possible with it - at least yet..<g> Check this out for some info on setting up LPF's and antennas-

https://github.com/threeme3/WsprryPi

Is there any way to build a good shortwave antenna or would buying one have to be the way I would go?

Offline audiokaos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 2201 UTC »
It's dead easy to build one. Just check out the ARRL's website - Loads of plans for antennas for pretty much any situation. Dipoles are very easy to construct - Just a T shape with the top bits cut to a specific length. Can be quite large though depending on the frequency. eg, for 6.925Mhz it is 33ft. 9 - 1/2in. or 10.299 M for one side...

Offline The Insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 2217 UTC »
Thank you. I'm on the website. I hope I'll be able to start broadcasting eventually.

Offline herman

• Ohio Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 0122 UTC »
Been using these for years without a tuner on 6935, with lots of qsl's. even one from across the pond. Par EF-40
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamwire/4965.html
Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium w\PAR EndFedz EF-40
YAESU 101B
Hallicrafters HT-40
Ohio Valley

Herman The German