We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: I have found my calling  (Read 1978 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
I have found my calling
« on: October 05, 2014, 0324 UTC »
Just an hour ago, I was with my friend in the park down my street doing some DX'ing where the noise floor was real low. I had my big ol' grundig 750 out and listening to a Euro Pirate on 6200 kHz. A group of my other friends (whom have no radio dx'ing knowledge, and never heard of sw before) came driving by and stopped to talk to me. They asked me what I was doing with the radio, and when I mentioned I was listening to radio from around the world, they were so amazed! They wanted me to explain how it all works and asked why no one else knows about it. I laughed to myself and explained that AM and shortwave are being killed by interference and bad programming.

From this experience though, I realized that people do have the chance to be interested in radio again. The new generation (mine) is the last to grow up in a mainly analog world. Up until 2008- most all was still analog. Analog T.V, analog FM and AM, and computers were still relatively new. Listening to Allan Weiner right now on 7490 WBCQ talking about how we can save AM and let it really sound great has pretty much solidified it that I have got to dedicate my life to helping save AM and SW. That's it. Since I now know that people in my generation can be interested in it, even the real popular kids, shows me there is a chance for the young kids to listen to it again. My dream (I have a dream) that one day, 8 year old kids will know what AM and shortwave is and listen to it like they do internet and FM today. We will save AM, whether it's the last thing I do!!!
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline The Insomniac

• View Profile
Re: I have found my calling
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 0829 UTC »
I'm actually 17. There are some of us. Together we can change the world.

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 2139 UTC »
Not to mention Internet. "Why should I listen to it on a radio when I can hear it on the Internet?" (NOT my opinion.)  :-\

I keep hoping more people will discover shortwave radio and the adventures it holds.
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

Offline jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 2328 UTC »
Not to mention Internet. "Why should I listen to it on a radio when I can hear it on the Internet?" (NOT my opinion.)  :-\

I keep hoping more people will discover shortwave radio and the adventures it holds.

Because it's a lot easier to turn on a radio and tune to a frequency and instantly hear the programming.  You don't have to log into a website, deal with buffering issues, or any number of other technical problems that could arise, preventing you from receiving the signal.