We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Portable Radio Antenna Problem  (Read 3703 times)

Offline The Insomniac

• View Profile
Portable Radio Antenna Problem
« on: October 09, 2014, 0529 UTC »
I have this http://www.kaitousa.com/KA1103.htm portable radio and it's entire antenna came out of the socket including the rotating bit. The antenna itself is intact, but I think the socket might be slightly bent. Any ideas?

Offline bumbelstock

• Div. 46
    • View Profile
Re: Portable Radio Antenna Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 0609 UTC »
Hello!

I use the Degen 1103,it's the same like your RX,i think. Do you have any picture from the Fail? Antenna comes completly out of casing if you extract the teleskop???
Do you open the Radio? Antenna is mountet inside with littel screw..
But if you have the desicion,use a simply wire into the ant connector (the ext. antenna jack).

Greeting's! ;D
Greetings from the Yellow Bumbelstock

RX from central Germany

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 0216 UTC »
I've got a Grundig G-5 from the same factory that has a wobbly antenna base. I tighten the screw that holds the base in place, every couple of months.

Offline The Insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 0414 UTC »
 I took some pictures of it. Is there any way to fix?

Offline The Insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 0414 UTC »
Antenna

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 1434 UTC »
There should be a small hole for a screw, just below the socket the whip fits in. Insert the whip base into the socket, lining the hole in its base with the hole for the screw in the radio. (You'll probably need a lamp or a flashlight so you can see when things are aligned.)

Insert the screw, tighten it up and you're done.

Whips sometimes have little brass washers that fit around the hole in the base. They're a pain in the ass to get seated, but nothing a couple of drops from a hot glue gun can't take care of. Scrape away the excess glue. As long as the brass, the screw and the hole in the base of the whip have good metal on metal contact with the hardware in the antenna socket, you're golden.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 0028 UTC »
oh

When you said "portable radio antenna",
I was thinking of another type of thing entirely....

;D

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline The Insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 2059 UTC »
Haha yeah. I remember when the government shut down last year and the FCC wasn't regulating, there was a Pirates for Peace broadcast that I caught the tail end of. They were making jokes about stiff and floppy antennae.  ;) It was also fun because that one was broadcasted on top of the World Harvest Church's broadcast and it completely overpowered them in my area.