We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Christmas Eve pirate radio  (Read 2827 times)

Offline jordan

• View Profile
Christmas Eve pirate radio
« on: October 21, 2014, 0231 UTC »
I would really love to do an hour-long Christmas bluegrass music show on pirate radio on Christmas Eve this year.  What are the chances of me getting into trouble with this?  I would use a blank FM frequency in my area with about 1 watt of power.

Also, how would I know whether anyone is listening or not?

Fansome

Re: Christmas Eve pirate radio
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 0336 UTC »
If you only use one watt, on what appears to be an empty part of the frequency, it's unlikely that you will cause much trouble with a commercial station. You would likely hear any station that would potentially be bothered. I still would keep it to under a half-hour, just for safety's sake.

You could announce HF Underground's URL on the air, and have listener's post logs on the "FM Free Radio" forum. Or, get a Gmail account, and announce that over the air. The latter has the advantage that they won't have to register to use it.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 1723 UTC »
Excellent suggestions, Cousin Al.

I would go with the Gmail option. If you ask for them to post here and they do, they may give out their location, which with FM, is basically your location.

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 1854 UTC »
Yeah go with the email. That's what I did. Also, don't forget that Halloween is THE pirate holiday, so get your shortwave out and ready!
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 1911 UTC »
Yeah go with the email. That's what I did. Also, don't forget that Halloween is THE pirate holiday, so get your shortwave out and ready!

And it's on a Friday this year!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 0423 UTC »
Cousin?!!? Good grief. You've just ruined my reputation.

I sure hope we aren't related through the southeast Virginia branch of the family...

Excellent suggestions, Cousin Al.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 1854 UTC »
Cousin?!!? Good grief. You've just ruined my reputation.

I sure hope we aren't related through the southeast Virginia branch of the family...

Well, now that you mention it......... 

Did you ever hear stories about an indentured servant of the family with last name of Graves,(or Greaves, as some spell it)? He escaped into the Great Dismal Swamp, found someone (or something) to breed with, which they did like rabbits. They're now considered an invasive species in the Old Dominion and the states that border it, much like the fish known as the Snakehead.

Be careful if you encounter a Graves, they're mad as March Hares.