We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Shortwave’s Newest Broadcaster Global 24 – Takes to the Air  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: Shortwave’s Newest Broadcaster Global 24 – Takes to the Air
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 0619 UTC »
Chanter, RF and Chris: Interesting observations all. I'm getting the same thing as some of you are, the signal is there during the day but not legible, but starts to be legible around 0000-0100 UTC. Last night's programming was interesting and unique on the SW bands in this part of the world. I hope they succeed.
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline Rockpicker

• Middle of No Where Montana
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shortwave’s Newest Broadcaster Global 24 – Takes to the Air
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 2034 UTC »
Chris said:
“They transmit from FL, so understand how reception in the NW USA would not always be best.”

For a little better understanding of why many of us in the U.S.A. are left struggling to capture a few micro volts from WRMI's 50-100 kw transmitters  consider the following.

Global 24 Radio (Note the word “Global”) has a contract with WRMI to broadcast their programs.
WRMI is an FCC licensed International Broadcaster.

Here is a link to the latest FCC Fact Sheet on International Broadcasting:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/fact-sheet-building-high-frequency-shortwave-international-broadcasting-station

It is an interesting read but here are a few key quotes from the above link:

“Any qualified US citizen, company, or group may apply to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for authority to construct and operate a high frequency (HF) (shortwave) international broadcasting station.”

“It should be noted that an international broadcasting station is intended for broadcasting to a foreign country and is not intended for broadcasting solely to the United States. The minimum transmitter output power required is 50 kilowatts (kW) and a directional antenna is required with a minimum gain of 10 decibels (dB). “

I have also included a link that has details about on WRMI's antenna's:

http://www.wrmi.net/pb/wp_06b59cee/wp_06b59cee.html

While WRMI's antenna farm does have a few antennas designed for US coverage I seriously doubt they alone will ever be in use for Global 24 Radio broadcast. “not intended for broadcasting solely to the United States”

I wonder if the word “solely” could be interpreted to allow WRMI to broadcast Global 24 using  both one of their directional antenna simultaneously with one of their short range antenna's and remain in compliance with their International Broadcaster's licensee?

Is there a lawyer in house? In the meantime Global 24 Radio does have an internet audio feed. Oh! That's right, the FCC whats to regulate the WWW more now as well.......
Central Montana
Winradio G31DDC Excalibur, YB 400PE,  Satellit 750
RF Systems MLBA with 85' of copper flex weave