We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Movie: Numbers Station w/ John Cusack  (Read 3566 times)

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Movie: Numbers Station w/ John Cusack
« on: October 29, 2014, 1816 UTC »
Just picked this up on DVD the other day after reading the back of the package. Has anyone else seen this movie? What are your thoughts? I liked it to a point. (average film - but the premise was interesting) Somehow though, I just couldn't see the bad guys taking over a "Number Station" studio, when a nicely built ham station could be used for the same purpose.

I really wanted to see a dedication to "Havana Moon" at the credits, but it wasn't to be. My other critique of the film, is that the movie and "extras" with the blu ray, almost presented the use of numbers stations as almost fictional.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 1823 UTC by RCCI »
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline OldSeaRock

• Earth, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Movie: Numbers Station w/ John Cusack
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 1844 UTC »
I viewed this movie on Netflix® and found it to be kind of boring.  Can't remember if I finished watching it!

Havana Moon.  Indeed.  I don't believe that much depth of study went into the movie.
eQsl appreciated:  theoldsearock@yahoo.com
Listening on & off since 1968.  Howdy from Tejas!

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 2252 UTC »
Right. To know Havana Moon, you have to go back so far to the time of another Harry, Helms (both sadly RIP AFAIK), and all those old ACE newsletters, which I used to have next to my file of VOL/KIPM/Radio Airplane (the latter really dates me) QSLs... I think I got rid of most ACE issues long ago, sadly. Never again throw away that which will never be again... not all of it, anyway. I used to enjoy contributing to Helms' column. Back to topic: Never seen the movie. I know, not helpful.  ;D
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 1140 UTC »
I saw the movie...  if you are like me you would like to see some 'nuts and bolts' so if that is what you are looking for... errrr with this movie... forget it.

I have to admit I did watch the entire movie (kinda sorta)... but after the first say 15 minutes I started designing an audio pre-amp using a 2N1500 transistor... yeah I was bored... The movie had me re-inventing the wheel...  nuf said...

With that said...

Don't pay $$ to see this flick borrow a copy...

The screen play reminds me of a topic that might appear as a possible topic in a first year university English class assignment.

And as other folks have mentioned... I don't believe this 'student' (the screen play writer) did any real research on the topic...

I give it a D+ (there goes the old 4.0 gpa ehhh?)

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 2102 UTC »
ka1iic: Sort of like, they had the title before they wrote the movie? Thanks for the tip, another two hours I don't have to waste time on! Incredible that they couldn't make a really killer movie with that title! It's not like there's not Ary B. and  Enigma and other people who actually know what they're talking about, you know, to consult? Regarding your comments on the screenplay, there's a lot of first-draft-ish crap around in the multiplexes these days, it seems to me. ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 2108 UTC by Rizla »
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 2154 UTC »
"...unlikely to find an audience on any frequency"
http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/film-review-the-numbers-station-1200416770/#

had a stunt coordinator, but no technical advisor is listed.
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline thechoat

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 0215 UTC »
In watched it on Netflix too,same review it wasnt very accurate, not a terrible movie but it didnt make any sense on why they wanted it so bad
Oklahoma
qsl to streetracerlx at gmail.com
Afedri SDR or Icom 746, home made OCF dipole

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns