We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: I am feeling like the 'odd man' out...  (Read 1481 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
I am feeling like the 'odd man' out...
« on: November 18, 2014, 1854 UTC »
Hi folks...

Just wanted to pour my heart out to everyone on this web site :-)

Since moving from my home site in Maine (ideal Kennebec/Lincoln County... house in Kennebec, antennas in Lincoln County) to this site in Miami County Ohio (very much less than ideal)  I must say... never in my life have I ever known the feeling of being a Novice since many many years ago.

I use to DX numbers stations years back but it seems I am only able to receiver HM01 (http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,19384.0.html) etc and XPA2 stations from this location. The noise level here in Miami County Ohio is horror-able.  But I will put that aside for now. BTW I have been able to receive XPA2 at this location but only on the higher frequencies ( recordings are available on request)  Of course this might be because of propagation conditions.

I'm going to stop, for the most part, listening to and for 'numbers' stations.  Why? because I believe there is no way in hell that, in the case of HM01, they have that many spies outside of Cuba.  This appears to me to be more like psy-ops to me.  My reasoning is this: if it were 'true' spy activity then they would make sure that the transmissions were at the correct time and at the correct frequencies.  If I were a 'spy' I sure as hell would want the transmissions to be correct and at the correct times... In this the Cuban stations fail big time.

There is no good reason for using shortwave on the CONUS anyway.  What with 'toss-away' cell phones...  who needs short wave?  Now take as an example central-Europe now there is a reason for using shortwave...  Small radical groups would be more likely to use shortwave but what is the reason for Cuba?  None but to freakout the NSA or whomever might be following them.

As I have stated before. I hope to be located in Southeast Asia in the near future... from those locations there I will provide as much information as I might be allowed to (considering the local rules etc) to anyone that might want to hear but as far as it is here in CONUS it isw a waste of my time... If you want to listen to what matters... learn Chinese ... use the web radios if you might... the issue is China.

I'm not saying NOT to listen to Cuba but don't take it seriously unless something big happens.

Now for issues with Miami County Ohio:

I have never in my life never seen any electric company be so unresponsive than Miami Light and Power.  For years, as I have heard from local ham radio operators, any company be so unresponsive than MPL.  They are a disgrace... period.  Sure they have underground electric lines but in the areas where the electric lines are above ground they cause more noise than any electric company I have ever known or seen.  I have tested the grounds on the electric lines here and the ground ARE the source of ALL RFI!!!  If it gets any worse then the aircraft frequencies will be involved (I am next door to Dayton International Airport and Wright Patterson AFB)....  The public service frequencies (AKA police and fire) are already involved.  It is a mess here in Miami County.

If the FCC plans to get the AM broadcast band revitalized then they should consider this...  With the current RFI from the local power company here... a 50 kw Am radio station cannot be heard without noise a mere 50 miles from the station transmitter... No matter what type of receiver is used... I've tried it... the noise is so bad it makes the station UN-listenable... So much for AM radio ehhhh?

Ok guys... thanks for the rant, sorry you won't be seeing many reports from me but that is the way it goes for those of us that live here in 'NOISE CITY"...

and best of luck to you that don't live here...
vgw

PS... tell me I am full of fecal matter... I have a thick skin :-)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 1915 UTC by ka1iic »
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I am feeling like the 'odd man' out...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 1927 UTC »
Once upon a time the East German's were the best but I digress...

Philippine what? As in the Country the 'Philippines'... talk to me bro...

@

ka1iic-ohio@roadrunner.com

have no fear I am a 'friendly'... listening to Black Stone Cherry now... :-)

Oh yeah...  Cuba SI! Castro NO!

vgw
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!