We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: P beacon 8497.8 CW 0150 UTC 5 Dec 2014  (Read 1336 times)

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
P beacon 8497.8 CW 0150 UTC 5 Dec 2014
« on: December 05, 2014, 1437 UTC »
LATE POSTING  >:(  ???

P Beacon-  Observations and Notes

Earlier in the listening period it seemed as though multiple CW characters were heard. However, could
that be a "mind mix" as signal strengths were down and attempted separation of those signals at that
time was not attempted because of low signal strength and fading. None of these signals were detected
until darkness arrived.

I have revised my observation on frequency as 8497.8 kHz. I use this as a rough "center" frequency as
this signal can be heard at multiple frequencies approximating a frequency range of  8497.7 to 8497.95
kHz. The "P" beacon signal does sound raspy or is otherwise accompanied with distortion. When the
signal level rose enough to see a reasonable waterfall trace unusual things were recorded. At first, as
noted, I thought I was hearing several signals on close adjacent frequencies.

As signal strength came up a bit more the waterfall traces prove interesting. Not only two traces are
readily seen but three.  In watching the waterfall for an extended period of time occasionally it appears
that the same character (for instance a "dash") corresponds to both the lower and upper observed
frequencies as shown right to left on the graphic. Now this leaves the "middle" trace which for the most
part was not seen to contain the same character as either of the two noted frequencies. Perhaps over an
extended observation three identical characters in the same time stream by chance may be recorded.

I have attached a graphic which demonstrate the two and three signals as recorded and described. Notice
that in some instances identical characters do appear at the same time on slightly different frequencies.

Speculation

The "P" beacon may simply have a rapid change of frequency between the time it is first keyed to the
trace at it's "off time".  It certainly sounds like an oscillator frequency shift.

Could the "middle trace" actually be a second signal emanating from a different source altogether?
Or is the middle trace a simple artifact caused by the frequency shift.? However, the middle trace prints
pretty much like a different frequency ...... ???

Could very fast propagation changes create this effect?

I will try and observe this group of signals and perhaps if one starts printing much earlier than the other
it may indicate they are different signals coming from different directions entirely. Again they did not
appear before sundown.

Can anyone else lend some insight on the "P" beacon? 

Cheers!!
Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Re: P beacon 8497.8 CW 0150 UTC 5 Dec 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 2054 UTC »
I see it here too...20:53 right now, 8.497.98 Mhz

Very odd... and you're right, there's 3 signals in the audio passband. Will be interesting to see what the day to night propagation does to this signal\\
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns