We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SoCal for the holidays  (Read 4935 times)

Fansome

SoCal for the holidays
« on: December 15, 2014, 0711 UTC »
I'll have my Sony 7600GR, along with my EF-SWL, strung up among the hibiscus and avocado trees in Dad's back yard. With luck I'll hear pirates from the frozen East, but, I expect that I'll enjoy myself nonetheless.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal for the holidays
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 0919 UTC »
How's your Dad's throwing arm? Can he still bean you with an avocado from 70 yards away, or does he have to wait until you pull into the driveway?

I'll send him plans for an over-under Avocado/Potato Cannon if it's the latter.

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 2338 UTC »
good to see you boys still get along so nice.  ;D

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 0127 UTC »
Al and I provide a service to the pirate radio world with our witty repartee' and rational discourse. A pair of shining beacons to the unenlightened masses.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 0151 UTC »
Shining 10 meter beacons, are you?  Do you QSL?  *giggling* 

Seriously, I'd be chasing transpacific, Mexican and Latin American DX up a storm if I were in California during the winter.  Keep us posted, eh?  I for one will be freezing up here in the windy north. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 0425 UTC »
I won't be in any kind of shape to post anything for a few days right after I get there; I usually go immediately into an In-N-Out burger coma, and it takes some time for me to digest. After that, though, I'll see what I can do.

Shining 10 meter beacons, are you?  Do you QSL?  *giggling* 

Seriously, I'd be chasing transpacific, Mexican and Latin American DX up a storm if I were in California during the winter.  Keep us posted, eh?  I for one will be freezing up here in the windy north. 

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 0432 UTC »
'In-'N-Out Burger' is a real place?

I thought that was some kind of sex thing....

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 0502 UTC »
Yes, it's the best burger chain in the whole wide world.

However, they used to give out "In-N-Out Burger" stickers, back in the 80s or so. People soon figured out that you could tear out the "B" and "R" from "Burger". The stickers were discontinued...

'In-'N-Out Burger' is a real place?

I thought that was some kind of sex thing....

Offline kcpr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 0531 UTC »
I disagree while in and out is a stellar dining establishment 5guys is the pinnacle of burger dining

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 1255 UTC »
I disagree while in and out is a stellar dining establishment 5guys is the pinnacle of burger dining

Five guys does indeed make a great burger.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Fansome

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 1901 UTC »
Yes, I've had Five Guys. Their burgers truly "rank" with the best, such as Hardee's and McDonald's.

Five guys does indeed make a great burger.

Offline kcpr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 2124 UTC »
A little miffed because they require shoes Al?

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 2324 UTC »
2nd on the sex thing.  I was never a big fan of Five Guys, I thought it was awfully pricey for what is it, a burger in a bag.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 0000 UTC »
We may have to go fetch Fansome. The evening news is reporting that fossils are being washed up by storms on the coast of California.

We don't want Al to be put on display in a museum. Seeing him could traumatize children.

Fansome

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 1105 UTC »
Well, I have not been able to do much listening in SoCal this year. Part of the reason has been the bitter, bitter cold; some evenings it has gotten into the low 50s and even the 40s, and I didn't bring any winter clothing. I probably wouldn't have been able to hear anything if I had tried; as the more technically astute among you probably know, extreme cold stiffens the ether to the point that it cannot efficiently conduct radio waves. In fact, the RF can actually itself freeze under these conditions, falling to the ground as what are known in science as "wavelets".

Another problem has been family issues, many of them involving goats. I won't however, bore you all by bleating about these unfortunate events.

The good news is that I have had at least a half-dozen double-doubles at In-N-Out, and enjoyed every one. One of my siblings claims that she once saw me eat five at one sitting; I am pretty sure that this isn't true, although I suspect I passed out immediately after if I did attempt it. I also plowed through a half-dozen hot dogs from Der Wienerschnitzel, probably the best hot dog chain on the planet.

So, sorry for my lack of reports. Perhaps when I get back to my lab at Fansome Industries I may make up for the lost time.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns