We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 92.5 FM Pompano Beach pirate busted  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
UNID 92.5 FM Pompano Beach pirate busted
« on: October 17, 2014, 2136 UTC »
If you are into pirate radio, you are doing the FM ops a great disservice by reporting your loggings. The FCC does not take kindly to AM or FM "Free" operations in the US. They warn you, then they slam you with a large fine if you are stupid enough to ignore the warning! It is just too easy to track down an FM pirate...you can pretty much do it with a boom box with a whip antenna. FM Free Radio just ain't free >:(

MARC-NUS CHARLES. Issued a monetary forfeiture in the amount of $20,000 to Marc-Nus Charles for operating a pirate radio station in Pompano Beach, Florida. Action by: Regional Director, South Central Region, Enforcement Bureau. Adopted: 10/16/2014 by Forfeiture Order. (DA No. 14-1486). EB   DA-14-1486A1.docx  DA-14-1486A1.pdf  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 1136 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: UNID Pompano Beach FM pirate...caveat emptor
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 2338 UTC »
How true. It's such a pain to try and get listeners yet still stay underground from the FCC.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID 92.5 FM Pompano Beach pirate busted
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 1143 UTC »
The FCC has ordered a Pompano Beach, FL pirate to pay a $20,000 penalty for operating a pirate radio station at 92.5 FM.   In June 2013, Enforcement Bureau field agents tracked the station’s broadcast back to an apartment rented by Marc-Nus Charles.  Charles has a history of operating pirate stations in Pompano Beach.  In 2009 the FCC says he was responsible for another unlicensed station.   The agency says the penalty is twice the base fine since Charles ignored two written warnings about his station.

So this guy ignored not one, but two warnings. Hmmm....after reading around the web on this it seems that South Florida is a hotbed of illicit FM broadcasters. If you're taking money out of the pockets of legitimate licensed FM stations by garnering listeners, you are almost certain to get the knock.
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 1431 UTC »
Yeah he clearly did not care. He ignored TWO warnings. After that, you're screwed.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline ladderline

• Group W Bench
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 1404 UTC »
Two warnings are truly great examples of patience, tolerance and extreme understanding. 'Anybody who does not know how to forgive his BRETHREN is worse than a murderer and God shall never forgive"- Bible.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 1423 UTC by ladderline »

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 2254 UTC »
I personally don't believe that posting reception reports of FM (or AM) pirates on a hobby message board like this makes them any more susceptible to FCC action. I think complaints by legal broadcasters, air traffic control, etc are way ahead in terms of FCC attention. Their DF and monitoring tools are advanced enough that they don't really need help from a site like this to do their job.

Just my 2 cents, anyways.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts