We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 29788 kHz FM ute comms, Pennsylvania  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Dag

• View Profile
29788 kHz FM ute comms, Pennsylvania
« on: December 22, 2014, 1605 UTC »
At 1530+ Z  Monday Dec 22, 29788 mhz there's occasional FM voice communication between vans and a base with a 60 Hz hum on the carrier. Both sides of the communications have the same signal strength and the AC hum, so perhaps I'm hearing a repeater output.

Various people identifying themselves with their first name and a van number (i.e. van 43) indicating they are en-route to the Pittsburgh fire station for training.

Also, one person requested days for time off. They were approved.

Who is this?

Dag
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 1639 UTC by Dag »
Seminole county, Florida, USA, Earth, Solar System, Universe.Icom 7610 + attic dipole. Black coffee. Ketosis.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 29788 kHz FM ute comms, Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 1400 UTC »
Did you measure the hum as 60 Hz, or are you going by ear?  It is possible this is a PL tone.

You may have heard the repeater output of Van Pool Transportation, Fitchburg, MA.  They have a repeater with an output of 29.79 MHz, and a PL of 100 Hz.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Dag

• View Profile
Re: 29788 kHz FM ute comms, Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 2233 UTC »
Thanks for identifying the signal: it's extremely likely you've identified it correctly.

It was "by ear" that I guessed a 60 Hz tone.
Seminole county, Florida, USA, Earth, Solar System, Universe.Icom 7610 + attic dipole. Black coffee. Ketosis.