We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WW II antenna  (Read 4848 times)

Fansome

WW II antenna
« on: January 23, 2015, 0451 UTC »
I'm watching "The Guns of Navarone". I just saw an antenna mounted in the back of a jeep; it looked like two magnetic loops, vertically mounted on the same short mast. They were about three feet in diameter, oriented perpendicular to each other on the same vertical axis.

I'm curious as to what kind of antenna this is, and what it's properties are.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: WW II antenna
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 0454 UTC »
Al, that is known as a "movie prop antenna".  It doesn't do anything but sit there, look good and confuse the radiophiles.

:D

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 0509 UTC »
Huh. Kinda sounds like me.

Al, that is known as a "movie prop antenna".  It doesn't do anything but sit there, look good and confuse the radiophiles.

Offline muremanon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 1040 UTC »
people refer to them as a eggbeater. picture is one for satcomms. also there were ones for use at vlf freqs too.
no details on what i used on hf. keeping that to myself..

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 1404 UTC »
Huh. Kinda sounds like me.

Other than the "look good" part you're correct, Al. That self awareness training is really starting pay of for you.

There are still a number of commercial vertical CB base antenna's that use the eggbeater design at the top.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 1648 UTC »
Here's a couple of pics of some vintage WW2 direction finders made by Stewart Warner. The first one is the BC470D and the second one is the BC1003. I wonder if they could be retrofitted with SDR technology?
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Fansome

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 1842 UTC »
Ah, ok. I think I understand. So, in reference to the thread in the "Technical Topics" section, using one of these antennas would result in "mixing products"?

people refer to them as a eggbeater. picture is one for satcomms. also there were ones for use at vlf freqs too.
no details on what i used on hf. keeping that to myself..

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 0843 UTC »
Did your S.O. get that adjustment hammer I sent her, Al? You obviously need a tune up.

Fansome

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 0446 UTC »
Actually, I think this is the antenna:

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 1521 UTC »
Here's a couple of pics of some vintage WW2 direction finders made by Stewart Warner. The first one is the BC470D and the second one is the BC1003. I wonder if they could be retrofitted with SDR technology?

Our buddy Pat Murphy has one of the BC470D's, Al. He bought it thinking he could use it to locate Radio Bob. Sometimes I think our Pat is one dumb bunny.

Fansome

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 0804 UTC »
I wonder how ol' Bob is doing these days. He and I were pretty good friends back in the day. He knew virtually nothing about computers, so I helped him out with things like virus protection and software installation. He sent me a CD with a number of studio recordings of his shows as thanks. And, then, later, he went insane. As we all do.

Our buddy Pat Murphy has one of the BC470D's, Al. He bought it thinking he could use it to locate Radio Bob. Sometimes I think our Pat is one dumb bunny.