We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ottawa boy ordered to shut down his radio station  (Read 3632 times)

cmradio

Ottawa boy ordered to shut down his radio station
« on: December 04, 2009, 1101 UTC »
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/12/03/ottawa-pirate-radio-station.html

Careful Canadian pirates, Industry Canada is feeling frisky.

Peace!

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ottawa boy ordered to shut down his radio station
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 1722 UTC »
I doubt Canadian shortwave pirates will have anything to worry about as long as Karol Madera is doing his part to defend the HF spectrum from Industry Canada.  Tough job but someone's gotta make 20m entertaining and respectable.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline CDN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 1631 UTC »
I doubt Canadian shortwave pirates will have anything to worry about as long as Karol Madera is doing his part to defend the HF spectrum from Industry Canada.  Tough job but someone's gotta make 20m entertaining and respectable.

Lex

I just came across this thread….

As a thinking CDN and otherwise, I wish to thank you for ~appropriately recognizing our Karol VE7KFM a.k.a. “The Canadian Army of One” and the important/effective work he has been doing, for over a decade, not only w/ our IC, but also w/i the HAMereekan ARS, for an example of which explicitly, inferentially and otherwise, see/read the slightly foreshortened and spelling/grammar-corrected missive from Laura SMITH, SCARE of the FCC, to Randy BEST W7CPA, dated 3 Mar ’09 to be found near the bottom of the Front Page on Karol’s ONLY website:

http://members.shaw.ca/ve7kfm/

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 1635 UTC by CDN »

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 0303 UTC »
Incidentally, there was a recent follow-up to that story.  It seemed to fly under the radar because the September 2011 follow-up report didn't mention the teenager's name.  But checking the Wikipedia references for related reports back to 2009, it's the same fellow.

Teen radio pirate given 15 months probation
Threatened on-air personalities after equipment seized
By Andrew Seymour, Ottawa Citizen September 2, 2011

"A "petulant" teenaged radio pirate who threw a tantrum and threatened Ottawa radio personalities has been placed on 15 months probation."

"When Industry Canada shut him down and seized his equipment after repeated warnings in January 2010, he threatened and harassed one of the agency's investigators, a judge found."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/12/03/ottawa-pirate-radio-station.html

Careful Canadian pirates, Industry Canada is feeling frisky.

Peace!
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 0439 UTC »
Geez, ya don't suppose the rabbit turned him in as well, do ya? He has a real boner for Canadian pirates, even those CLOSE to the Canadian border.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

cmradio

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 0600 UTC »
Incidentally, there was a recent follow-up to that story.

Canadian's take threats as seriously as taking potshots at the people with a gun. Dumb move, kid.

Peace!