We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Choosing a SDR  (Read 6772 times)

Offline brevor

• View Profile
Choosing a SDR
« on: February 11, 2015, 2050 UTC »
Hello, I just signed up here because I would like to get back into SWL, I was into it as a teenager and now i'm just about to turn 60. I'm looking at SDR's, my concern is that I live less than 1000 feet from the antenna of a MW broadcaster on 1500 Khz. The stations power output is 25 Watts at night, and I'm concerned about overloading the receiver. The receivers I have been looking at are the Afedri, Elad FDM S2 or possibly trying to pull together some more cash and get a QS1R.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Bruce

Offline kcpr

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Choosing a SDR
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 0442 UTC »
I have good results with the afedri. I did add an external array solutions as-402 bcb high pass filter as I have a 1000 watt station under a mile away at 25 watts I don't think you should have an over load problem. all in all ive been very satisfied with the afedri.
Doc

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 1529 UTC »
I am personally a fan of the RFSpace products, as I have a NetSDR that I love and has served me well for at least a year. I think given your proximity to that MW station, you'll definitely need to add additional filtering, as kcpr mentioned.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline IZ5PQT

• Pisa Italy JN53er
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 1238 UTC »
I have the ELAD-S2. Very good performer, compact, excellent software and support. 25 w transmitter nearby is nothing. I have a 25 kw medium wave transmitter at about 10 km and I need to insert the built-in attenuator to clear up problems but it works very well.

Giovanni

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 1243 UTC by IZ5PQT »
TXRX: IC-765ProIII
RX: R-5000, ELAD-S2,FRG-7, several SONY ICF-7600...
Antenna: 30 m longwire antenna, PA0RDT Miniwhip
QTH: Pisa, Italy, JN53er

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 1824 UTC »
I can say the AFEDRI & the Elad are great performers under those conditions... I have a 10KW 1370 nearby & as stated previously, inserting the attenuator takes out any degradation immediately & painlessly... Elad is also now offering a BPF if you desire to go that route...
Both are USB powered so wall wart QRM not a problem...

Rafman
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

oly1959

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 0256 UTC »
Hi brevor. As with kcpr, I am also using the Afedri Net SDR and been having really good results with it even though I live less than a 1/4 mile away from 50 KW KSTP on 1500 and a 1/2 mile from 50 KW KTIS on 900 here. I do have a attenuator to help out with all that RF. It even gives the Drake issues sometimes. Overall for the price, it has been working really good and Alex, the designer is really great to work with if you have any questions and there is a Yahoo group devoted to the Afedri Net SDR. Hope this helps out. Steve ;D