We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: With RadioShack kicking the bucket, who will fill its shoes?  (Read 3521 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
What I mean is, will there be a new chain of stores that make up for the loss of of radioshack? Do you think the new stores will be more keen on RADIO, and not CELL PHONES. Call it "waveshack"

For my sake, I hope so.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
Re: With RadioShack kicking the bucket, who will fill its shoes?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 2357 UTC »
Radio? Radioooo? You wish for much from the corporate heads of state  ;)
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 1949 UTC »
From the electronic perspective, I think most people gave up on RS and went mail order in the late 90's.  Most have a major parts house 2 days shipping from them, and I think that's OK.  Allied, Digikey, Mouser, et al seem to be doing gangbuster business and I doubt that will change.  Depending on where you are, there are surplus places around the country that specialize in electronics surplus.  There's nothing like walking down a row of bins and selecting your parts :)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Nella F.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 2358 UTC »
     I still listen to "radio", mostly because it's my main hobby (maybe habit would be a better word), nurtured since the late '50's. Also, I have "land line" telephone service making access to the internet via the local library Exclusively (don't own a computer). Almost All of my friends/acquaintances (twenty something's to baby boomers) have cell phones, tablets, computers, ipods & all the rest. The way I see it, If our "Sun" spews out The massive solar storm & literally destroys "The Internet", radio will continue to decline in popularity. At least in so-called first world countries. Now, places like India, might take a bit longer. And there will be old farts like me that will covet my radios to the day I croak.  8)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 0010 UTC by Nella F. »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 0256 UTC »
I've actually had RS employees refer me to Digikey and Mouser a number of times in the past two decades when I was looking for parts.

The key to dealing with RS in the past few years was locating the lone geek amongst the phone salesmen in the store. They normally could be found in the back of the store fooling around with some project on their down time.

Nella F.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 2122 UTC »
    I still listen to "radio", mostly because it's my main hobby (maybe habit would be a better word), nurtured since the late '50's. Also, I have "land line" telephone service making access to the internet via the local library Exclusively (don't own a computer). Almost All of my friends/acquaintances (twenty something's to baby boomers) have cell phones, tablets, computers, ipods & all the rest. *The way I see it, If our "Sun" spews out The massive solar storm & literally destroys "The Internet", radio will continue to decline in popularity. At least in so-called first world countries. Now, places like India, might take a bit longer. And there will be old farts like me that will covet my radios to the day I croak.  8)

*What I meant to say was as long as our Sun doesn't spew a massive solar storm thus destroying "The Internet", radio will continue to decline in popularity.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 1649 UTC »
There won't be any new radio stores, except possibly boutique online ventures tailored towards radio geeks.

Most people under age 20 have no (or little) idea what a radio is. They get all their entertainment via smartphone. Which makes it ironic that Sprint is reportedly buying many Radio Shacks.

You can still see radios for sale in a store here where I live. The local box stores have several -- usually several clock radios and a CD boombox or two, an FM radio with docking for your IPod or whatever, and 2-3 headset radios.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline OldSeaRock

• Earth, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 2344 UTC »

Most people under age 20 have no (or little) idea what a radio is. They get all their entertainment via smartphone. Which makes it ironic that Sprint is reportedly buying many Radio Shacks.

BINGO.  Devolution.
eQsl appreciated:  theoldsearock@yahoo.com
Listening on & off since 1968.  Howdy from Tejas!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns