We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Dipole on rooftop, SNOW?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dipole on rooftop, SNOW?
« on: October 09, 2015, 1616 UTC »
This weekend I was planning on putting up a dipole antenna laying flat on my rooftop. One thing I almost forgot to consider
is the snow cover and how it will affect the antenna performance. I'm thinking it will completely screw it up since the snow
must be somewhat conductive.

I think I will wait for replies on this before I go ahead with installation.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 0526 UTC by flexoman61 »
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Dipole on rooftop, SNOW?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 1411 UTC »
That's an excellent question!

My first guess was to assume that it would cause a lot of attenuation. I looked around for data on attenuation of HF signals due to snow/ice, and could not really find much.  The closest thing I could find was this paper about attenuation of VHF signals through the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1011.0477v3.pdf

If I am interpreting the results correctly, VHF signals were able to get through several hundred meters of solid ice, and there was less attenuation at lower frequencies. If so, a few inches of snow may not really be an issue for shortwave signals. 
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: Dipole on rooftop, SNOW?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 2129 UTC »
Just make sure to use insulated wire and it shouldn't make much difference in receiving.

If you were to transmit with it, the presence of snow or even rain would change the SWR somewhat, but usually not seriously.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums