We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: need some help  (Read 3572 times)

amboss

need some help
« on: March 23, 2015, 0104 UTC »
I have the beast and i need to get on the air.. How will it sound without a compressor? At worst case i was going to run a guitar pedal inline. The valiant is 100% stock as far as the audio chain. Will it sound like utter crap without a compressor?

Offline IZ5PQT

• Pisa Italy JN53er
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: need some help
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 1226 UTC »
You worry about the compressor, but...does the rig work ok?
Giovanni iz5pqt
TXRX: IC-765ProIII
RX: R-5000, ELAD-S2,FRG-7, several SONY ICF-7600...
Antenna: 30 m longwire antenna, PA0RDT Miniwhip
QTH: Pisa, Italy, JN53er

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 2205 UTC »
Assuming it is 100% stock, it won't sound great.  First things first, make sure that all the electrolytic caps have been replaced.  Then test all the tubes and make sure your emission is good.  If your going to run AM, make sure the speech filter is bypassed, unless you like telephone audio quality.  These rigs can really shine in the quality department, but you have to work for it.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

amboss

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 2222 UTC »
it works great.. full power and some hahah. i use it on 11m but those guys hate me and somtimes on 10m. I need to get it to sound better to allow me to play music well. I paid about 600$ to have a pro that restores all the EFJ radios and did all new top of the line caps, tube checks, made sure it would take a beating. I only have about 3 hours of use since i got it back. After 3 years to get this project on the road its time for me to put it to use. Need to clean the inside a little but other than that she is minttt. Im in the antenna building phase, most likly will be doing a inverted V.. i have unlimited space and 100+ ft pines so i should have a booming signal with the apex at 100 ft or so.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 2224 UTC by amboss »

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 2243 UTC »
Looks Sharp and Clean!
Godspeed!
;)
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

amboss

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 1245 UTC »
yes for sure... readdy to run for hours on end ahha i got a list of mods from a board member and just need to dig up my manual so i can get this thing sounding better. Going to build the antenna thursday already have some lmr400, need a freq counter and a mixer but thats it... nearfest is the first weekend of may so i will be up in NH gathering some goodies to!