We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Interesting sound, it gets scaled out to cover more frequency  (Read 5361 times)

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
 6999kHz   
0416utc
About 2 sec. long
Receiver mode: I don't know it looks asymetrical
California Coast
There I was, minding my own business when this thing blipped by.   It is about 10Hz wide, then it scales out to 15Hz wide.  Notice the line that doesnt scale is not in the center of the transmission.  I used this as the reference for what frequency it was on.

California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Interesting sound, it gets scaled out to cover more frequency
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 1715 UTC »
Hello Antennae,
check this link.It may help to clarify the mystery.

http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,21508.0.html
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 2011 UTC »
Has this repeated?  Do you have a recording?  The "lines" in it look like repetition lines, like sweep rates of on swept signal or pulse rates in a pulsed signal.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 0106 UTC »
Oliver, thanks for the link, I didn't see it in the first section and didn't take the time to go over the second section but I did check the recording of illegal taxi drivers :)

Token, I haven't seen it since the first time.  I shut the computer off 10min after the first one so I don't know if it repeated after that.
What kind of recording are you looking for?

I can play back my SDR data and record the audio but I don't know which demodulation mode would be best.

PS, I'm looking at the picture on another computer screen and I can't clearly see the neat lines it makes so some people might be missing out.  It looks like a leaf rake. The individual tines spread out. 
California Coast

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 1753 UTC »

I can play back my SDR data and record the audio but I don't know which demodulation mode would be best.

USB, with as wide a filter as possible or until the entire signal is captured.  Just one little burst is all that is needed.  Uncompressed WAV format would be best if possible.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 0412 UTC »
OK, after poking around my recording I found one more noise and then a weird phrase. It was all on 6999.3kHz LSB.  

So I recorded this in LSB.  First is the scaled noise, then some regular noise, then a weird phrase that sounds overmodulated.  Here's a link to the recording:

EDIT 5/9/15, I took down the recording because it was just some ham operator noise. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 2259 UTC by Antennae »
California Coast