We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Coconut Shortwave and others, SSTV 6925 U  (Read 1710 times)

Offline textim

• Raleigh, NC
  • Hello? *tap tap* Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
Coconut Shortwave and others, SSTV 6925 U
« on: December 16, 2009, 0519 UTC »
I received this series of images from Coconut and another op beginning at 0345z.  There was a third station as well, but not enough signal to decode here.

Both stations sent at the same time for this one.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 1125 UTC by textim »
Raleigh, NC

Offline DOCTOR

• INDIANA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coconut Shortwave and others, SSTV 6925 U
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 1404 UTC »
I heard the sstv stations for close to an hour 0315 to 0410, unable to copy..my computer interferes with the receiver so dont bother, but all ranged from s-2 to s7 for the time period.

DOCTOR/WA7026SWL/INDIANA
DOCTOR/WA7026SWL

INDIANA
RCVR...EATON S350DL, TESCUN PL600
ANTENNA...GRUNDIG INDOOR LOOP MW
WHIP, LONGWIRE...
ALINCO DX 70T/END FED WIRE

***PLEASE QSL***

Offline Kyle Broflovski

• Tennessee Smokey Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 1941 UTC »
What SSTV modes are most commonly used on these frequencies?  I'm just starting out in digital modes and it is really confusing with a dozen different modes just in SSTV.
Kenwood R-1000 with random longwire through KW AT-200 tuner

Offline Seamus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 2034 UTC »
Most of the SSTV programs I have worked with will auto-select the correct mode upon reception.

Scottie 1 and Scottie 2 are probably the most common formats out there, with the Martin and Robot formats making up probably 95% of the remainder.  I have heard some quick squirts of the 8- and 12-second B/W modes, and a handful of Scottie DX transmissions, but Scottie 1 & 2 are probably your best bet for receiving. 

In your software, load up a few sample images and "send" them without anything hooked up to the sound card but your speakers.  This will give you a feel for the timing and cadence of the formats, and after some practice, you can sort of judge between them by ear. 

If you're using MMSSTV, set it for auto-start, and make sure that the "auto" button is selected in the format list.  With any signal strong enough to have a definite sync pulse, it should be able to auto-detect and receive it on its own, without having to worry about manual mode selection.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns