We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Beacon Project "Common and Precious III" (OFF air, 26510 kHz, 8W)  (Read 60064 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Beacon Project #2 - 500mW, 10m Band
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 1754 UTC »
On the shunt feeding and so on, I'd just use a tuner or discrete components and feed it anywhere it was doable. On a HAM tower setup, some guys run a wire down from a yardarm up the tower, with the wire grounded to the tower up at the yardarm, then feed the wire at the bottom so you end up with a linearly loaded vertical.

Here's some related info;
http://earthsignals.com/N6TZ/
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
  • Longing for distant places
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 1042 UTC »
Hey there,

I picked the project from the shelf last weekend and had a look at it. Eh. I dumped the board and started anew on a DIY epo-board.

After I spend quite some time on reading hard theory on frequency multiplication during my recent holidays I decided to go with a different approach.

I also settled on the frequency I'm gonna use.  Found an x-tal with 13.612.500kHz in my junkpile. Makes 27.225.000kHz (CB Channel 22) in the end. I go with that. Since the output power will be approx 1,5W it won't cause local issues. Especially since it'll not operate near to homes.

I'll attach a picture when I turned the test-thingie into a nice board. :)

Kind greetings,
~Zazzle
Trans-/Receivers: JRC NRD-525,  ICOM IC-R72,  YAESU VR-5000,  YAESU FT-897D
Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 1027 UTC »
Hey,

I had some fun during the last evenings. And leaned quite a lot about signal multiplication and filtering. I also learned that SPICE-Simulations are b*tches, even when using non-perfect components in regard to RF-stuff. But anyway! The current circuit outputs a perfect Sine-wave with approx 1,3W. Some short caculations on paper show that I should   eable to boost the power to approx 5-6W with proper stage matching. Well, let's see what the real stuff says to that.

Kind greetings,
~Zazzle
Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Beacon Project #3 - 5W, 11m Band
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 1042 UTC »
Hey,

<Note: I changed the projekt title>

It's funny how projects change while they're being build. I intended to go with 500mW because that works well on 11m. Now I'm stuck with 8W. Opsie~. How could that eeeeeeeeeeever happen.

Btw: I'm a bit embarrassed to share the pictures attached. That's the most ugly thing I've ever build when it come sto RF. But the board has that lovely oldschool "RF from scratch"-look. :)

Well, I somehow wanted to play a bit with impedance matching between stages and what's the best way to drive a class C amp from a class A stage. I guess I accomplished the mission. The circuit runs stable from 8-16V and from -30°C to 80°C. Of course the power drops a bit when the unit heats up. From 8W to 6W. But the circuit stays stable, the effiency is OK and the output signal always clean and strong.

What's still missing is some components around the ATTINY25. And, of course, the µC itself.

I've found an old 5/8 CB Antenna in the basement. That'll go through a modification.

I still ponder the frequency to use...

• 27.185kHz (EU-Wide CB Channel #19)
  • 26.510kHz (Allocated to some CB Channel only in Poland)

Your opinion on that?

I guess I'll go with 26.510kHz. Less chances of pissing someone off who'll file a complain that leads to investigations. :)

(Well, and given that I'm from Germany... I guess I should follow tradition and invade Poland. ;p [J/K!!])

Kind greeting,
Zazzle
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 1106 UTC by Zazzle »

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 1649 UTC »
So!

26.510kHz it is!

I'm done here. Now... hello Antenna!

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 2305 UTC »
Hi!

I found time to build a L-Match for the old CB Antenna I'm gonna use with this Beacon. Works like a charm. SWR 1:1,2 or better.

By now it's mounted on "the roof"[TM]. But I forgot the Transmitter unit at home. Well, that has to wait until next weekend then.

Greetings,
Zazzle

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 1130 UTC »
Oh, well. Sometimes I'm an idiot.

We had some sunny days recently, which left me with enough motivation to install this Beacon. Only to discover, that the SWR is beyond anything I'd call reasonable. I assumed it was, as usual, the metal construction of the roof that caused it. Adjusting the matching circuit didn't help. I was clueless for some minutes until it struck me. To make sure the matching circuit in the foot of the antenna won't become lose due to vibrations of the antenna (introduced by the wind) I've filled the coil with epoxy. Thus, making sure it's permanently attached to the socket. I should have thought about the fact that the material, a coil is wound on, even if it's a non conductive material, affects the inductance. So, well, yeah. The Epoxy filling affected the matching circuit enough to make it unusable.

Well. Do it again, Sam. Looks like I've to build and install a new coil.

Greezings,
Zazzle

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Beacon Project "Common and Precious IIÎ" (on air, 27.510kHz, 8W)
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 1225 UTC »
Hi everyone,

This one is up - finally.

The recent warm weather provided enough motivation to sit in the garden and work a bit on a new antenna match.

The old one existed (like shown on the photo in the post above) on an inductor and variable C. Basically a Pi-Match with the upper coil part providing an inductive reactance to cancel out the capacitive reactance of the (too short) antenna. But the resonant circuit has proven itself to be too sensitive to a changing surrounding which affect the impedance of the beam.

Therfore, I did some theory and settled on a UNUN (transforming the feedpoint impedance of ~30R tu 50R) with some additional inductive overhead to compensate the capacitive part of the beam itself.

The whole thing can be  adjusted by pushing and pulling the winding together or apart. I was able to adjust the SWR on roof to approx 1:1.05 within less than a minute. Which felt sooo good. :)

Installing was easy. I got everything prepared at home and on the roof all party just fell into place.

Back at home I was a bit worried about the radiation angle. I was able to receive the beacon at home with a simple hand scanner and S5. Made me worry that the antenna doesn't work well for DX broadcasting but got a flat, strong local field.

The first thing I did today morning was to check the "local" WebSDRs around (here in Europe) and I was rewarded with a good reception in England (a little less than 1.100km). Nice. Felt awesome to know that the DX-Field works well.

I guess I'm happy how this turned out. :)

I also made good use of my motivation as long as it's still present and wrote a small documentation about the project in the wiki.

Common and Precious Wiki Entry

Kind greetings,
~Zazzle

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Beacon Project "Common and Precious III" (on air, 27.510kHz, 8W)
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 1635 UTC »
Hi Zazz, I noted some typos in your wiki;
singla = signal
smoth = smooth
ferrit = ferrite
(tripple) = (triple)
collecor = collector
thefore = therefore
it's it's = its
ferrit = ferrite
Ops, this escallated = Oops, this escalated
escallated = escalated

Can't help it, the editor in me came out. Really nice beacon you have there, the board and parts are elegantly arranged.

:D

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 2118 UTC »
Hey,

Can't help it, the editor in me came out. Really nice beacon you have there, the board and parts are elegantly arranged.

Appreciated! Thank you!

Btw: your HFU login also works for the wiki. :)

Kind Greetings,
~Zazzle

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 2219 UTC »
Maybe change the subject of this message thread to indicate the frequency is 26.510 kHz, not 27.510 MHz? 

BTW I have not heard you on this frequency yet, but I heard the 48 and 30 meter beacons the other evening. Propagation on 11m has not been great here recently.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 0909 UTC »
Hey Chris!

Maybe change the subject of this message thread to indicate the frequency is 26.510 kHz, not 27.510 MHz? 

Oh. My bad. Thanks for telling. :)

Btw: what's the proper notation (when it comes to 1000er separation) in the US (or this board)? In Germany we do it like 1.500.000,00Hz for 1,5MHz

BTW I have not heard you on this frequency yet, but I heard the 48 and 30 meter beacons the other evening. Propagation on 11m has not been great here recently.

Tricky, I think. Since the 11M band is only day-active (including sunset) it'll be a small window that also requires proper condition just in the right moment. Nevertheless. I'm curious whether it'll make it over the lake. :)

Kind greetings,
Zazzle

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Beacon Project "Common and Precious III" (on air, 26510 kHz, 8W)
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 1243 UTC »
26510 kHz would be correct here in the US, I changed the subject for you.

I have not been hearing any 11m DX from Europe so far this year, so it may not be possible, but I will check now and then.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 1538 UTC »
How hard would it be to make it active during dawn to dusk?
And if so would there be any benefit?

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 1712 UTC »
Common and Precious III has been received in Kyiv between 1545 and 1615 UTC with SINPO=35433-45433. RX: RTL SDR DVB-T Dongle (RTL2832U+R820T), ANT: 10 m wire.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 1716 UTC by ulx2 »
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/