We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Monitoring Times Going Downhill???  (Read 7669 times)

Offline LanceLovejoy

• View Profile
    • Email
Monitoring Times Going Downhill???
« on: December 19, 2009, 2035 UTC »
Got a hold of the new issue of the MT and low and behold (as announced actualy in the last issue) , George Zeller's excellent monthly column on Pirate Broadcasts (The Outer Limits) is no longer a part of the magazine. >:(  Considering that they have also inexplicably gotten rid of Glen Hauser's always excellent Global Forum column, I have to say that  the MT is changing for the worse.  Considering that the Pirates are one of the more interesting, unpredictable and thriving parts of the HF picture it's hard to understand the direction the MT is going and I fear it is becoming less relevent to dedicated HF monitors.  If not fot the Stegman and Van Horn (and much of that info is available elsewehere) columns I'd probably drop the thing all together. 
Icom R75-wellbrook 330s
St. Louis MO
lancelvj@gmail.com

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Re: Monitoring Times Going Downhill???
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 0050 UTC »
Why did they drop the pirate column?
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline LanceLovejoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 0336 UTC »
According to the editorial accompanyment to George's last column in the December 2009 issue, the MT considers the clandestine and pirate scene to have but a "small" following, and so has decided to "turn the page over to other topics in 2010."  Wierd.  Looking at this board for example, the Pirate section gets far more posts than any oither section, hard to understand why they have decided the interest level isn't there.  But take heart, the editorial geniuses over there did decide to devote an extra page to the Longwave column in 2010!  Nothing against Longwave, but how many times are they going to run the same column on aero beacons and DGPS??  ???  Go figure!
Icom R75-wellbrook 330s
St. Louis MO
lancelvj@gmail.com

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 0554 UTC »
Like many pirate enthusiasts, I buy MT off the shelf, so as to keep my identity and address secure.

The pirate column was the first thing I looked at when opening MT.  I decided I won't be buying it anymore.  I am not abandoning MT magazine, they are abandoning me.

cmradio

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 0613 UTC »
According to the editorial accompanyment to George's last column in the December 2009 issue, the MT considers the clandestine and pirate scene to have but a "small" following, and so has decided to "turn the page over to other topics in 2010." 

Translation: the pirates promote freedom of thought and freedom of speech, which is too much of a threat to the Republik, therefore the DHS has given an order to drop the pirates or the magazine ceases to exist >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Peace!

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 1257 UTC »
Well, that's a Bravo Sierra justification if I ever heard one. The who hobby of listening to radio is a niche hobby , and I doubt the population of pirate listeners is any smaller than those in other niches. I was just going to subscribe again, but certainly won't now.  I suspect there's another answer.

Time for a letter to Brasstown

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 1622 UTC »
What if we all wrote letters?  Think it would change this decision?  Worth a try?

If so, let's post the address and a sample letter here for those of us less creative to sign and send.

Offline L Cee

• East Coast - USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 2051 UTC »
The managing editor is
Rachel Baughn

The address is:

Monitoring Times
7540 Highway 64 West
Brasstown,  NC  28902-0098

or 

editor@monitoringtimes.com

My suggestion would be to keep letters polite.  Usually it's large numbers of polite complaints that produce a consideration rather that a few nasty rants :)
L Cee
East Coast - USA

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 0402 UTC »
Finally, retroactive justification for my not having bought a copy of MT in several years.

Hmm... that made no sense at all.  It seemed almost clever when I first wrote it. ::)
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Leah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 0332 UTC »
Yeah, MT not doing too good. ???

Offline spore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 2232 UTC »
From what i've read elsewhere, the nastygrams are going to outnumber any nice requests.  ::)

cmradio

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 2348 UTC »
From what i've read elsewhere, the nastygrams are going to outnumber any nice requests.  ::)

Verbal "cowboy diplomacy" may get some results. Maybe get them a new editor when the publisher hears the outcry?

Peace!

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 0125 UTC »

The publisher (Bob G) wrote to tell me that based on a poll recently taken, the Pirate section was near the bottom.  Sending insulting nastygram notes is likely NOT helpful, but intelligent feedback might be.

He's running a business...

cmradio

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 0216 UTC »
Does Popular Communications still have its pirate section?
(they had that big pirate issue with Andrew Yoder a couple years back)

People will just go there.

Peace!

Offline spore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 1743 UTC »
The admin at another site claims there's a new dedicated Pirate Radio print magazine in the works, aparently being done by one person, but it's going to take time to get it off the ground.

No telling what it'll cost if/when it comes out since the distribution would probably be in the hundreds. Most niche mags are expensive and rather thin.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns