We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Monitoring Times Going Downhill???  (Read 7667 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Monitoring Times Going Downhill???
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 1946 UTC »
For many years, we had the ACE (Association of Clandestine Enthusiasts) with a monthly newsletter (1982 until whenever it finally went under, sometime circa 2000 I think?). The primary emphasis was on pirates, although there were columns on Spy Numbers stations, clandestines, etc. As with much print media, the internet killed it. Why wait weeks or months for stale logs, when you can get them in minutes now. Or, via IRC, instantly: http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=PirateRadio

Of course, there's more than just loggings, and I think a print magazine (radio related) could survive with interesting feature articles. I haven't looked at PopComm or MT in ages, but from memory, they tended to re-hash the same subjects over and over.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline spore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 2002 UTC »
From what i've read elsewhere, the nastygrams are going to outnumber any nice requests.  ::)

The publisher (Bob G) wrote to tell me that based on a poll recently taken, the Pirate section was near the bottom.  Sending insulting nastygram notes is likely NOT helpful, but intelligent feedback might be.

He's running a business... 

Agreed, but the cited nastygrammers are the knee jerk reactionary type and not known for thinking things through.

Posting insulting fake MT covers, making statements like

"Grove needs to learn about loyalty being a two-way street."
after they have turned on him and...

"Don't know what this new editor's background is, but she sure doesn't know the radio community.  Tight knit, and if they feel attacked, closed mouth.  " 
after screeching complaints and insults in every way they can imagine. I hate to think what they have sent to MT.

I fear intelligent discourse would be futile, but i urge everyone to try.

beaconman

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 2202 UTC »
Niche magazines have a rough time making it....
Newspapers can't hardly make it and many have folded...
I hate to see MT drop the Outer Limits but I'm afraid it is a sign of the times...
The internet offers almost live time reward for the pirate operator...

Personally I like to hold  books and magazines in my hands...at 57 years of age I'm afraid
the world I knew is "Gone"...

73 to all the radio heads we are a dieing breed.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 0316 UTC »
It's hard for any print publication, no matter the niche, to remain relevant to internet users.  I relied on magazines like MT up 'til the 1990s and read Zeller's columns routinely.  Zeller's columns and Yoder's books got me hooked on piratical malfeasance.  But since the late 1990s I've used the internet almost exclusively for info about radio monitoring.

Occasionally I'd still buy a magazine for illustrated articles on technical matters, such as building radio kits, but I haven't even done that in several years.  When I had only dialup access it was too slow to access sites with lots of illustrations, but now in many cases it's more efficient to use the web to search for relevant info.

Sad to say, especially since I used to work in the traditional print media (former newspaper guy), but they haven't adapted well.  Traditional news/infotainment magazines clumsily tried to emulate blogs and websites.  (Take a hint, Newsweek - magazine readers can't click on those URLs.)  And websites/blogs started by magazines mired in the traditional print media tried too hard for too long to make their sites resemble a paper publication.

It's ironic because the paper I worked for, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, was among the first - possibly the first - with online content, back in the 1980s.  But the paper is now a ghost of itself and hasn't adapted well to electronic access.  One of the few things older folks like my mom want a newspaper for is the weekly TV guide, but most daily newspapers can't even get that right.  They buy from TV listing services, which provide too much inaccurate or incomplete data.  So my mom and several of her neighbors quit subscribing to the local paper during the past year.

No surprise that MT is going downhill.  The best paper-based periodical publications have been struggling even when they had a clue, and MT's departure from pirates - among the most active segments of the HF spectrum - confirms how clueless they are.  Too bad they didn't get better acquainted with them thar fancy interweb tubes.  They might have realized from the FRN, Alfa Lima, HFU and dozens of regularly updated blogs by shortwave fans that HF is alive and well, but mostly among a very different demographic from the genteel folk who once listened to the BBC and Deutsche Welle, or the hamsters who gnaw on each other on 75-80m and cannibalize each other on 14275U.  (Well, of course pirates sometimes gnaw on one another too, but that's a whole 'nuther topic for a cannibal's recipe book.)
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline LanceLovejoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 1602 UTC »
It's of course true that the internet remains the best way to keep up with up to the minute info on HF radio and Pirates etc, as this board exemplifies, however losing Zeller from the MT remains a real loss.  For one thing that column I suspect for many, it certainly was for me,served as a great introduction to the vibrancy of the Pirate scene that as a newbie I had hardly even known had existed.  Also he always collected all the best little tidbits of info, even if slightly outdated by the time they saw print, that one might not always come across via casual internet chat board perusals.  Sure seems like the MT lacks vision but oh well.   I still can't believe they kicked Glen Hauser out as well, seems almost sacreligious, but I guess that's another story. 
Icom R75-wellbrook 330s
St. Louis MO
lancelvj@gmail.com

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 1704 UTC »
For many years, we had the ACE (Association of Clandestine Enthusiasts) with a monthly newsletter (1982 until whenever it finally went under, sometime circa 2000 I think?). The primary emphasis was on pirates, although there were columns on Spy Numbers stations, clandestines, etc. As with much print media, the internet killed it. Why wait weeks or months for stale logs, when you can get them in minutes now. Or, via IRC, instantly: http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=PirateRadio

Of course, there's more than just loggings, and I think a print magazine (radio related) could survive with interesting feature articles. I haven't looked at PopComm or MT in ages, but from memory, they tended to re-hash the same subjects over and over.

The ACE was a wonderful resource.  I still have all my back issues.  If there was a "golden age" of pirate radio, it was probably in the late 80's to early 90s.  Lots of quality stations on, and a thriving underground community supporting the scene.  The ACE was the cornerstone of that. 

Chris, did you ever know what happened to Don Bishop (and why he chose to go off the deep end with his radio self immolation?)

Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535