We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A question on power inverters  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Kyle Broflovski

• Tennessee Smokey Mountains
    • View Profile
A question on power inverters
« on: December 12, 2009, 1636 UTC »
I have a Kenwood TS-520 which is an excellent radio but it does not have 12VDC operation capability. 

I also have a Cobra power inverter rated at 800 watts continuous and 1600 watts peak.  The TS-520 is rated at 400 watts peak consumption.  I would think that this inverter would be adequate to power the TS-520 but the inverter is a "modified sine wave" inverter.  The manual specificly states that it is for resistive loads and not for inductive loads.

Is a tube transmitter inductive or resistive load and would the modified sine wave cause any damage to my radio or cause any unwanted issues with transmission quality?
Kenwood R-1000 with random longwire through KW AT-200 tuner

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Re: A question on power inverters
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 1413 UTC »
I would think that the primary of the power transformer would do a pretty good job of smoothing out the spikes from the inverter.  Go for it.
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline spore

• View Profile
Re: A question on power inverters
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 1755 UTC »
Back in that era the Yaesu FT101E has a square wave inverter built in for DC ops using a standard transformer and did fine due to the flywheel effect of the transformers core and the filter caps. A modified sine wave inverter should be better, I'd do like syfr says and try it out. IF you get hummmmm i'd replace the old drying out electrolytic filter caps. Otherwise you should be fine.

Just have plenty of battery capacity, 400 watts at 13.6v is ~30a peak draw.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 1759 UTC by spore »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns