We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC Commissioner Michael O'Rielly-"Time to Eradicate Pirate Radio"  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Remarks of Commissioner Michael O’Rielly Before the New York State Broadcasters Association Summer Conference June 23, 2015

Time to Eradicate Pirate Radio Stations
To see the impact of New York broadcasters in Washington, you don’t need to look any further than the letter to the FCC on the ongoing problem of pirate radio, which every single member of the New York House delegation signed just two weeks ago. Getting all those signatures on one document is quite an impressive feat and speaks not only of your high level of engagement and involvement with your representatives, but also of the extremely serious nature of this problem, which I addressed in a post on my FCC blog two months ago. Far from being cute, insignificant, or even somehow useful in the broadcasting ecosystem, pirate radio represents a criminal attack on the integrity of our airwaves, at a time when spectrum has become more scarce and precious than ever before. Burdened with around 25% of the nation’s total pirate transmissions, New York’s airwaves are a target under continuous assault. As the Congressional letter highlighted, there appear to be 34 pirate stations operating in Brooklyn and the Bronx alone, with more stations now spreading throughout the state like poison ivy in a neglected garden. And where is the gardener? With enforcement actions on the decline even as unauthorized stations proliferate, many feel that pirate radio has slipped far down the FCC’s priority list. Allocating spectrum and subsequently protecting license holders from interference is one of the Commission’s original charter missions and remains our most fundamental responsibility. Without vigilant, proactive enforcement of every license, the value of our spectrum, one of the most treasured natural resources of the modern age, is irreparably degraded. And when the interference affects legitimate, licensed broadcasters, Americans can be deprived of the vital and potentially life-saving emergency alerts, weather updates, and news they need at critical moments. There can be no justification for the Commission continuing to look the other way with everything that is at stake here, and that is why I have called for a renewed focus on pirate radio enforcement along with consideration of potential private remedies to give licensees more tools to defend against interference. In addition, one idea that is worth exploring that I discussed with David is whether to put building owners on the hot seat for hosting pirate radio stations. Most building owners wouldn’t allow tenants to conduct an illegal gambling sites, sweatshops or drug activities, why should they be allowed to be so passive with regards to illegal pirate radio stations? Shouldn’t there be an added burden to make sure building owners don’t knowingly lease or rent to pirates? I don’t want to go overboard because I strongly believe in property rights, but it seems like accepting a complete ignorance excuse is insufficient. Such an idea may require a change in law, and therefore subject to Congress, but if it is something that may help the cause, I’m willing to assist you in that effort. The good news is that more help is on the way from the FCC. Thanks to all the recent efforts to raise awareness of this problem, the Chairman has finally seen the light and committed to step up enforcement against pirate radio operators in connection with the Commission’s initiative to reorganize the operations of FCC field offices. My understanding is that the NY FCC Field Office is quite responsive and capable. Our job at FCC Headquarters is to make clear to them that we place a high priority on their efforts to eliminate pirate radio, are ready to provide resources, and expect results in the near term. Next week, the FCC will be hosting several New York broadcasters, as well as your counterparts from other markets, for a discussion to start formulating a plan of attack. So I am optimistic about the chances of rapid, substantial progress on the enforcement front. I know that no one is happier to hear this news than the community gathered in this room, and I commit to keeping the pressure up to
eradicate pirate radio for good.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 2248 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah.  Blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah.  Blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah.  Blah blah blah.

Bite me, Michael O'Rielly, you capitalist pig!

Jeez, this is funny.  Don't you remember what you said just eleven days ago?

FCC Commissioner Michael O'Rielly Says FCC Enforcement Bureau Is A Bully  
http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,22206.0.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 0016 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
They're becoming a rather lame joke...

However, as long as their pursuits remain above 88MHz, I won't laugh [too loudly]...

They don't have legal authority to do over half of what they've already leeched into...
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
To put it simply, for the millionth time, he will never eradicate pirate radio. We are a force to strong to really ever end. Stations might be knocked off air, but the idea will never end. It is our way of saying "f**k the man" and do it ourselves. We want good, interesting, non-corporate radio on air, and god knows no one else will, so we do it ourselves

And here is the obligatory F**k THE FCC.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
The FCC has indeed convened a task force on pirate radio, led by the Top Cop himself, William Donovan. No word on just who its other members are, or from where they hail. But it doesn't have a lot of options regarding how to make enforcement more effective, especially since cutbacks remain imminent. I suspect this initiative will focus on the large markets that have been the focus of all the rhetoric.

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany
    • View Profile
    • Email
Not that I care in any way for the FCC but out of interest I use a search engine to dig up some more details of this club.
I found the attached Org-Chart which shows by position & name their hierarchy.
This might be of interest to some of the folks out there.

RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de