We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DXing with the Yaesu FTDX3000 - Part 1  (Read 1393 times)

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
DXing with the Yaesu FTDX3000 - Part 1
« on: June 21, 2015, 0056 UTC »
Having had my new Yaesu FTDX3000 for around 7 months now, I'm really enjoying its flexibility and performance. Quite a few people have asked me to review the rig, as there's not much out there on the web about it. I thought the best way of doing this may be by actually showing it in action, using some of it's facilities. So, the intention is to develop a short YouTube series on the operation of the FTDX3000. Note the specific use of the word "intention"!! How many videos and over what time frame is debatable and will depend on my time constraints....believe it or not, "retired" people are very busy, too!!  ;)

The first video has now been uploaded:

Using SSB to improve marginal reception of AM SWBC stations (either because of poor atmospheric conditions or heavy interference from other stations) is a handy tool for all DXers to adopt. Yet some inexperienced SWLs tend to think that SSB is only useful for monitoring the ham bands! This video shows an example of where SSB helped considerably in a listening situation I had several weeks ago on 9920kHz involving two broadcasters and a jammer. While the technique is certainly not new (a.k.a. ECSS - exalted carrier selectable sideband), I have demonstrated its use here on the FTDX3000.

http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/dxing-with-ftdx3000-part-1.html

Comments welcomed. 73 and have a great weekend everyone! Rob VK3BVW
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU