We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ISO AM Antennas  (Read 2401 times)

Offline XmasScotty

• View Profile
ISO AM Antennas
« on: July 06, 2015, 2211 UTC »
I purchased an ISO 200 antenna. I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get a good match (below 1:2.2) for my operating frequency. I was able to get it down to 1:1.9, but the moment I put it on my tower, it went over 1:4 just like that.
Anybody else try these, and if so did you also have problems with them being so temperamental with SWR?

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ISO AM Antennas
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 2327 UTC »
I assume your talking about the Isotron antennas?  I have heard that they are pretty fussy about being next to metal objects (as most anything on those frequencies is), try and change your mounting location.  Try setting it up on a tripod in the yard and see what happens.  Perhaps putting it up on a separate mast on your roof.

How are you measuring VSWR?  Most low power bridges will get overwhelmed by local broadcast stations and will make your VSWR seem higher than it really is.  Sometime the only way to find out for sure is to apply a few watts to the antenna and measure your VSWR that way.

The manual hints of this...https://isotronantennas.com/download/inst160cmodified.pdf

+-RH
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 2337 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me