We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Collins to discontinue mechanical Filters  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
Collins to discontinue mechanical Filters
« on: July 27, 2015, 2143 UTC »
Rockwell Collins Filter Products specializes in designing mechanical filters to meet your unique and evolving requirements. We produce two different types of mechanical filters. For frequencies between 100 kHz and 700 kHz, we create filters made from rods resonating in a torsion mode. For frequencies below 100 kHz, we use flexure mode bar resonators. Our filters can achieve bandwidths from 0.05 to 5 percent.

Over the past several years, we have seen a dramatic reduction in demand for narrowband analog filters. Due to this and other economic reasons, Filter Products will be discontinuing its mechanical filter products in the near future.

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/Capabilities_and_Markets/More/Rockwell_Collins_Filters.aspx
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Collins to discontinue mechanical Filters
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 0100 UTC »
Too bad.  That's going to be rough on the few remaining companies like Palstar that still used mechanical filters.  My Palstar R30C has a Murata wide ceramic (also discontinued) and Collins narrow mechanical filter.  Great combination for audio quality and blocking adjacent signals.  I seldom heard the QRM and crosstalk other DXers complained about from WYFR when they were active on the funny bands, or LSB pesquitoes on 6925 when a pirate was on USB.

Some of the earlier web SDRs I tried couldn't quite match this performance, although the more recent SDRs seem to have solved that problem and offer some very flexible controls for digging out signals.

I'm not sure about the subjective audio quality issue.  Very squishy area, especially with tube aficionados.  Can't claim I ever heard the differences in radios, although I could in my guitar amps.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Collins to discontinue mechanical Filters
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 1615 UTC »
Sad to see some of the classic solid state technology go the way of the Dodo.

The only positive is that solid state parts (at least since the Germanium transistor days and paper capacitor days) usually have a long lifetime. I'm sure there will always be some of them socked away in a warehouse somewhere.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).