We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Antenna wire, what type  (Read 3671 times)

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Antenna wire, what type
« on: July 13, 2015, 1713 UTC »
Simple question, Is bare wire better to use
than insulated wire?
I currently use #14 insulated solid copper wire, 100' with balun and coax feed line.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 1715 UTC by flexoman61 »
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Antenna wire, what type
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 1738 UTC »
I'd stick with what you've got. Stranded insulated wire is much easier to work with and safer if there are nearby electrical lines with the remotest chance of coming into contact with your antenna.

I've used both over the years, and wouldn't consider going back to the bare stuff.

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
  • Longing for distant places
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 1439 UTC »
Hi there flexoman61!

I second Pigmeat here. It doesn't really matter. I have used both types of wire and couldn't say that one of the types stand out in performance.

Sidenote: the type of insulation "may" be of importance when calculating lengths for resonant Antennas... but honestly... there other features of the wire that need to be included in those calulations as well. I just say that beacuse you may have read about.

Don't worry about that. You're fine with the typ of wire you got there. :)

Kind regards,
~Zazzle.
Trans-/Receivers: JRC NRD-525,  ICOM IC-R72,  YAESU VR-5000,  YAESU FT-897D
Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 1724 UTC »
I picked up several rolls of magnet wire at the abandoned store previously known as RS.  It's good for playing around with antenna layouts as long as it's protected from limbs, squirrels, large moths....
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 1425 UTC »
I picked up several rolls of magnet wire at the abandoned store previously known as RS.  It's good for playing around with antenna layouts as long as it's protected from limbs, squirrels, large moths....

I used the green wire once to keep the neighbors happy. A suicidal starling took it down. At least the antenna was able to kill the bird that killed it.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 0402 UTC »
An advantage of stranded wire is that it is less likely to break than solid wire after repeated flexing.