We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Visualization of objects in orbit around the Earth  (Read 12245 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline homebrew

• Tucson, Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: Visualization of objects in orbit around the Earth
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 1916 UTC »
The is awesome (and terrifying)! Thanks for sharing!
I'm a newbie with a Tecsun PL-680. Tucson, Arizona.

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 1743 UTC »
Awesome link!

That's a lot of traffic to navigate to get into space!
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 2054 UTC »
A few debris facts:

• NASA's Long Duration Exposure Facility spent 5.7 years in a low Earth orbit to help analyze the risk from debris. Over 20,000 impacts have been documented.
  • Critical surfaces on the Space Shuttle were examined for debris after every flight.
  • Even a salt-sized grain hitting the space shuttle creates orbital debris
  • The most heavily shielded spacecraft ever flown, International Space Station changes its flight path if it is expected to come within a few miles of a large piece of debris. Such course corrections happen about once a year.
  • The US Vanguard 1 satellite, launched in 1958, is the oldest artificial satellite still circling the Earth, despite its low orbit.
  • More than 100 trillion artificial objects smaller than one-hundred-thousandth of an inch (1 micron) could circle the globe.
  • NASA was the first space agency to issue guidelines for orbital debris mitigation in 1995.

Also a pretty cool site for debris tracking:
http://satellitedebris.net/whatsup/whatsup.htm
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 2103 UTC by Oliver »
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 2118 UTC »

• The US Vanguard 1 satellite, launched in 1958, is the oldest artificial satellite still circling the Earth, despite its low orbit.

"The three stage launch vehicle placed Vanguard into a 654 x 3969 km 134.2 minute orbit inclined at 34.25 degrees. Original estimates had the orbit lasting for 2000 years, but it was discovered that solar radiation pressure and atmospheric drag during high levels of solar activity produced significant perturbations in the perigee height of the satellite, which caused a significant decrease in its expected lifetime to only about 240 years." [1] http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 0017 UTC »
Ha.

When I saw the link, I thought another sat tracker. Went to it and just about had a stroke when I first saw the map.

Minneapolis, MN

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 1227 UTC »

Last night while at a stargazing event hosted by a local astronomical society, an iridium satellite was pointed out to me.  I then got the entire history of the name (was to be 77, not 66 or 67) and current usage.  I was also told about this website: http://heavens-above.com
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)