We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Common and Precious" Beacon 10237.10 kHz 2338 UTC August 3, 2015  (Read 1458 times)

Offline curious george

• View Profile
    • Email
It's been awhile since I had a chance to tune in for this one, but I got it straight away.  Signal seems to be a bit stronger, and the dot and dashes a bit faster than before.  So it's possible it's someone else.  Can anyone else that knows code tune in and translate the message?

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
  • Longing for distant places
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • View Profile
Re: Common and Precious" Beacon 10237.10 kHz 2338 UTC August 3, 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 0706 UTC »
Hi there, George!

No, that's the Common and Precious Beacon. I've changed the CW speed a while ago. The initial idea was to have it rolling slow so it's easier to copy from a weak signal on a heavy noise floor. But after doing it for myself several times it became clear to me, that it's too slow and that, in case the signal can only be received for a short period, it makes it impossible to read it all. The current speed is 0,2s for a dit and 0,6s for a dat. Which is still readable. Even for less experiences people. Had a friend of mine trying to copy it. He got it after several rounds.

Thank you for the report! Feels nice to know that, with all the changes, it still makes it over the atlantic. :)

Kind regards,
~Zazzle
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 0759 UTC by Zazzle »
Trans-/Receivers: JRC NRD-525,  ICOM IC-R72,  YAESU VR-5000,  YAESU FT-897D
Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns