We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 10M Antenna and operation time  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
  • Longing for distant places
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • View Profile
10M Antenna and operation time
« on: July 21, 2015, 1430 UTC »
Hi everyone. This questions regards a possible Antenna for this project.

I need a compact Antenna for the 10M Band. It can't be too complex nor large beacause it's going to be installed on a (pretty) high tower with strong, storm like winds every now and then. I can't, under no circumstance, run experiments up there. Two ideas have formed in my mind and I would love to get your opinions.

Either way, I'm going to install a wooden 3mtr. pole up there. Thick enough to withstand the heavy wind. That pole allows me two possible Antenna configurations:
  • A loaded (in the middle) 1/4λ vertical Beam. I'm could to staple the wire to the wooden pole and insert the load coil in the middle in a weather proof box. Question  II want to use the metal platform as the electrical counter part itself. I wonder about... can an electrcal counterpart (Ground) be too big/large/long? Okay, I guess I can test this Antenna on the ground. We have a closes bridge around here. Full metal construction.
  • 2) An Inverted-V. I have a lot of good experiences with this type. The platform is also wide enough for this kind of Antenna. Also, I could shorten it with inductors, too.

And there's a completely different question: from what I read in all the propagation charts lately, it seems that the best time for operation on the 10M Band is during daytime. Is there any use in having a Beacon operationg during night time?

Kind regards,
~Zazzle
Trans-/Receivers: JRC NRD-525,  ICOM IC-R72,  YAESU VR-5000,  YAESU FT-897D
Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
  • Longing for distant places
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • View Profile
Re: 10M Antenna and operation time
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 1128 UTC »
Bump. :)

Basically, I curious about what kind of Antenna you'd use for the  project in context. :)

Greetings,
~Zazzle.
Trans-/Receivers: JRC NRD-525,  ICOM IC-R72,  YAESU VR-5000,  YAESU FT-897D
Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.

Offline radiogaga

• View Profile
Re: 10M Antenna and operation time
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 1335 UTC »
I've used a 102" stainless whip on a standoff arm back in the day.
@ 140' it performed very well.

stay safe, good luck

rgg