We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Palomar VLF Converter  (Read 4796 times)

Online myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Palomar VLF Converter
« on: August 25, 2015, 0122 UTC »
I recently received a Palomar VLF Converter but it did not come with the power supply. I was wondering if this one would be an acceptable power supply.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamps/4751.html
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Palomar VLF Converter
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 0359 UTC »
Power supply?

I've had one of those for a while and it has a connection for 9V battery. Doesn't seem to eat too many batteries. (On the other hand, I have an SDR that I use for any LW listening these days).

Minneapolis, MN

Online myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 2310 UTC »
The early units did use a 9 volt battery but the later ones used a power supply rated at +12 VDC to +15 VDC, and (my concern) "less than 50ma". The power supply from Universal says that it is 2.89 amps. Will that be an issue?
Northeast Ohio
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 0012 UTC »
The early units did use a 9 volt battery but the later ones used a power supply rated at +12 VDC to +15 VDC, and (my concern) "less than 50ma". The power supply from Universal says that it is 2.89 amps. Will that be an issue?

The "less than 50ma" means the unit draws under 50 mA, so any supply rated 50 mA or higher will work. You only need to exactly match voltage ratings. An electronic device will draw only whatever current it requires.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Online myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 0024 UTC »
Okay thanks Chris, I'll be ordering the power supply from Universal shortly.
Northeast Ohio
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline ve6jy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 0458 UTC »
That supply has way more capability than you need but even worse, it is a switcher and not something I'd want to use for this application. Some switchers are VERY electrically noisy.  Get an older linear wall wart, it will work fine and you likely have one tucked away in a junk drawer from some old device.. or get one from a second hand store for almost nothing.  Most newer ones are switchers - very light weight compared to the older linear ones that have a transformer.

Don

Online myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 2241 UTC »
Thanks for all of the advice, I'll rummage around the pile of power supplies I have and see if anything works. Again thanks.
Northeast Ohio
myteaquinn@yahoo.com