We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Balun question  (Read 2979 times)

Offline radiogaga

• View Profile
Balun question
« on: September 18, 2015, 1859 UTC »
After much reading I'm still cornfused ???
Am putting up a new antenna, inverted V half wave 40M dipole.
All reading suggested a current type balun however the pre-made ant. purchased came with 1:1 voltage balun.

Which is the proper balun to use, never used one before...
Trying to reduce rfi....

Thanks, rgg

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Balun question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 2011 UTC »
A resonant half-wave dipole is typically fed with coaxial feedline and tuned to a specific area of a band. Its planned use is generally within that band, although it may be useful on other bands (near odd-harmonics) where feedpoint impedance reasonably matches the coaxial feedline. The well-known length formula is L (feet) = 468/Frequency (MHz). This formula is an approximation. Antenna height, leg angles, insulation, wire diameter, and surroundings affect a dipole's resonant frequency and impedance. It is better to initially make the antenna a few percent longer than calculated and trim it back to size (higher in frequency), although dangling pigtails will work to slightly lengthen an antenna (reduce frequency) without adverse electrical or mechanical affects.

A popular misconception is because the dipole is resonant, or because the dipole feedline is small in diameter, a balun is not helpful. There are also questionable claims that "feedline radiation is good", or pattern change without a balun is insignificant. Many of these claims contradict each other. If one is true, the other claim argues against it. That is what happens when we justify a questionable practice.

Indeed there are cases where a balun is not needed at the balanced to unbalanced transition between coax and dipole, but they are very specific cases where the feedline is suspended in air from the center of the antenna straight away from the feedpoint, and is grounded ¼ wavelength away from the feedpoint.

Omitting the balun in other cases will often cause feedline length to affect SWR, increased noise in the receiver, increased RFI, or any combination of these ill effects. In unlucky cases with higher Amateur power levels permitted, omission of a balun can cause coaxial shield or connector arcing to tower legs or other metallic objects.

The best balun for this application is a 1:1 ratio current balun.
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 2111 UTC »

The best balun for this application is a 1:1 ratio current balun.

It is probably the best because it is fairly non-critical with regard to construction.  Even poorly made ones seem to be better than nothing at all.  Both types, current and voltage baluns, will decouple the line from the antenna, but for a voltage balun to be effective and present low SWR and loss, it must be carefully constructed.

+-RH
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 2115 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 0027 UTC »
Hi Gaga!

I don't know what shape your pocketbook is in but if you're looking for a decent current balun, might I suggest Radio Works...

http://www.radioworks.com/

Some might say they're a bit pricey but I'm running B1-2Ks on two different dipoles and they work great.  Well built too.  My first one has been percolating for 6 years.  Although I drop the antenna and check everything annually, as of last week the Grandad balun is still looking and working well...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State