We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 27635 USB 1830-1845 + UTC  (Read 1674 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
27635 USB 1830-1845 + UTC
« on: October 17, 2015, 1853 UTC »
Hearing some sort of polytone "jingle" on 27635 USB.  Usually when the band is open, this frequency is occupied by truckers operating freeband (since it is CB channel 19 with the flick of the bandswitch on export/"10-meter" radios).  Today, however, I've been hearing this weird polytone transmission every few minutes.  Great variation in signal strength as well.  Right now its around S3 but it was a clear S7 about 10 minutes ago (1640 UTC).  

I can hear some USB voice traffic underneath it from time to time.  Anybody know what this is?  I'm thinking its just some sort of elaborate noise toy that somebody is running with high power and/or an awesome antenna but wanted to get a second opinion by more experienced ops (or somebody who can look at it on a SDR waterfall/spectrograph ;)

Edit:  Now at 1654 UTC it has shot up to S9.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
Re: 27635 USB 1830-1845 + UTC
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 2316 UTC »
This is a popular frequency for ROS mode digital chat, which is almost sure to be what you were hearing.
Googling ROS digital mode should point you toward a free decoder you can use for receive and transmit.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.