We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Taurids meteor shower could be good show this year  (Read 3095 times)

Fansome

Taurids meteor shower could be good show this year
« on: November 04, 2015, 1806 UTC »
 Taurids meteor shower could be good show this year

The Taurids will be most visible in early November with the Leonids coming later.
Richard TribouRichard TribouContact ReporterOrlando Sentinel
Taurids offer up long, slow burning fireballs

There's a chance early November will be filled with what stargazers often call Halloween Fireballs as the Earth moves through the annual Taurids meteor shower.

The peak nights with potentially up to 12 visible meteors an hour in clear, dark skies are Nov. 5-12 although there's a chance you can get a view of the remnants of Encke's Comet from Oct. 29-Nov. 10, with one ore two meteors an hour.

"The Taurids are not known for their high numbers, rather they are known more for the fireballs they produce," according to a press release from the American Meteor Society.

2015 is predicted to be a year with many potential fireballs visible for two reasons. First, this year could be one in which the Earth runs through the comet's debris field in which there are thought to be larger than normal particles. That means more fireballs. Second, the state of the moon is a thin sliver right now, so not affecting stargazers.

They're called the Taurids because if you look at the constellation Taurus, that's the general vicinity in the sky from which the fireballs will appear. That part of the sky is above the horizon all night long. Look for them to shoot up from the eastern sky in the early evening, overhead from the southern sky at midnight and up from the western sky in the late morning.

Later this month, with peak nights on Nov. 17-18, the Earth will smack into debris that is known as the Perseids meteor shower. With a waxing crescent moon, the Perseids should be visible best after midnight.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Taurids meteor shower could be good show this year
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 2100 UTC »
Thanks for the info FANSOME!!!  Other wise I would have never known.

I just might park my little radios up on 6 and 2 meters just for the fun of it... who knows... I might make a few contacts if I'm lucky.

Vince
KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 2139 UTC »
When I first saw this, I said "this is a bunch of bull!". I debated as to whether I should write to the publication expressing my beef.

But then, I thought about it, and realize that I shouldn't let myself be stampeded into doing something I might regret. And so, I found myself on the horns of a dilemma: should I post this to the HFU, or not post it and take the risk that the fans would be led like cattle to wrong conclusions by lack of information?

I finally decided to post; the audience here has a steak in hearing such news, and it behoofs me to bring it to them.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 2158 UTC »
Don't have a cow, Al.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 0148 UTC »
Interesting story. Last night 11/04/2015, GMT time, Radio GaGa and another poster in Pirate Chat reported seeing something like a meteor flashing across the sky.  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 0244 UTC by myteaquinn »
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 0156 UTC »
The trouble with watching for meteors is you can stay up until the cows come home and never see one.  :)
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 0234 UTC »
Yeah, with only 12 meteors per hour, I will steer clear of this one.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 0008 UTC »
I agree refmo! This whole Taurids meteor shower thing is just another cock-n-bull story. Time to put this subject out to pasture....
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 0010 UTC »
Did your pony behoof you in the head as a kid, Al?

Fansome

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 0031 UTC »
Everytime I post important information about astrology, you get all persnickety about it.

Did your pony behoof you in the head as a kid, Al?

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 0111 UTC »
Just when I thought this thread was milked dry, Pigmeat starts another beef and Fansome raises the steaks ;D

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 0329 UTC »
I saw a big sparkly meteor with a little explosion just last night! I looked like a firework but headed toward the Earth and not away.
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 1751 UTC »
Hey those lights in the sky are just leftovers from Halloween...

Remember 'War Of The Worlds'; many radio stations reported that we were invaded by Martians!

heh heh heh
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!