We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: recomendations for usb sound card  (Read 1530 times)

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
recomendations for usb sound card
« on: November 21, 2015, 1303 UTC »
Can anyone recommend a usb sound card to use on my laptop for digital modes?
I'm using a Startech but I am having problems with some kind of interference that will
cause "jitter" especially with WeFaxes that take several minutes to decode.

Listening to audio recordings using my startech soundcard I hear very loud interference
that last about five seconds and happens often, and it can be seen on FLDIGI waterfall. I'm not sure if the soundcard is picking it up from an external source, something
running on my laptop, the usb port just sucks, or the cpu can't handle it.
The cable I use to connect the radio to laptop has about two pounds of ferrite beads on it.

My laptop does not have a dedicated mic/audio in jack. But when I use my headphones clipped onto the laptops built-in
mic I have no interference problems at all, but much less quality in the decode.

Any help would be great, cuz this is seriously annoying.
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: recomendations for usb sound card
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 1735 UTC »
I've had very good results with a Griffin iMic.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree