We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Shack 3 Transistor Short Wave Radio  (Read 3291 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Nella F.

Re: Radio Shack 3 Transistor Short Wave Radio
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 0024 UTC »
                                                                           ::)               

Yeah, but will it pick up local QRM?

::)

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 1602 UTC »
Well, we all know "Al" will be excited about this. Look at that big knob
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 2045 UTC »
I remember these!  But I had the 'AM wireless mic' kit.

It did about a block around when hooked up to the 70' shortwave antenna...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 0634 UTC »
You should have seen what I did with this back in the day  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4ny7KivzA

Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 1513 UTC »
LOL! I haven't seen that in years.

Have you been fattening up the cat for Thanksgiving, BDM? The great man in your avatar had strong opinions on cats, Pilgrims, and Thanksgiving.

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 1615 UTC »
Boy did he ever. Nah, the cat will escape becoming a protein shake for myself or the family this year :o I could swear Al was in that commercial, roller skating in the end saying "I got one".... Nahhhh, he invented that damn thing.. What was I thinking ???

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 0327 UTC »
In my collection of assorted stuff I had a Ratt Shack short wave receiver that had 3 transistors...  It was a super regen unit and it did work quite well when I tried it out.  Of course the propagation was a whole lot better back in the late 1960's...

It was quite broad band but if I adjusted the regen just below the point of it breaking into the regen region and had it connected to an Eico HF 20 power amp it had nice hifi output... but the stations back then had 'real' engineers operating the transmitters and the modulation of most stations had good frequency response.

Regens aren't as sensitive to noise and seemed much cleaner than the average receiver with IF stages.  The best receiver I had for hifi output was my old Hallicrafters SX28 in the wide band position, my second best was a Halicrafters SX 62A in the wide band position.  My National receivers were a bit too 'tight' in the IF stages to give really good hifi output.  My brothers National NC 300 had a very good wide band position...

Oppppps I'm rambling again  sri...

I'm outa here

k someone pls...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns