We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Beijing’s covert radio network airs China-friendly news  (Read 2065 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Beijing’s covert radio network airs China-friendly news
« on: November 02, 2015, 1631 UTC »
Part 3: The Chinese government controls much of the content broadcast on a station that is blanketing the U.S. capital with pro-Beijing programming. WCRW is part of an expanding global web of 33 stations in which China’s involvement is obscured.

China has a number of state-run media properties, such as the Xinhua news agency, that are well-known around the world. But American officials charged with monitoring foreign media ownership and propaganda said they were unaware of the Chinese-controlled radio operation inside the United States until contacted by Reuters. A half-dozen former senior U.S. officials said federal authorities should investigate whether the arrangement violates laws governing foreign media and agents in the United States.

A U.S. law enforced by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) prohibits foreign governments or their representatives from holding a radio license for a U.S. broadcast station. Under the Communications Act, foreign individuals, governments and corporations are permitted to hold up to 20 percent ownership directly in a station and up to 25 percent in the U.S. parent corporation of a station.

CRI itself doesn’t hold ownership stakes in U.S. stations, but it does have a majority share via a subsidiary in the company that leases WCRW in Washington and a Philadelphia station with a similarly high-powered signal.

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/china-radio/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Beijing’s covert radio network airs China-friendly news
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 0213 UTC »
We should do the patriotic thing and jam them. The FCC will give us medals.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline L Cee

• East Coast - USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 0417 UTC »

I can think of a couple of The Angry Bastard shows that would be just the thing.
L Cee
East Coast - USA

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 1643 UTC »
I've listen to some of these 'broadcasts' and they are so syrupy  it's enough to make me gag...

'Oh we are soooo happy.... we are soooooo nice'   it's all propaganda BS and the folks that cooked this up are downright stupid or think the listeners are...  most likely the latter...

WCRW needs to have its license pulled and the transmitters sold to the highest bidder or better yet, sold for scrap... take that  ::)

gahhhhh!

have a great day and a better tomorrow!   ;D

vince
ka1iic
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 2231 UTC »

I can think of a couple of The Angry Bastard shows that would be just the thing.

After I called on listeners to burn down the banks in '02 and no one responded, I gave up on my audience ,LCee. I figured a clean and healthy activity for the entire family like bank-burning would take off, excuse the pun, like wildfire. There was no way anyone would get jailed, everyone hates banks.

Not even a little ATM fire, it was pathetic.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 2006 UTC »
After re-reading the article, it seems that the Chinese owned company mentioned (G&E) is just buying time on the MW stations -- except they are buying all of the time, instead of just an hour here and there like you see on many brokered MW and SW U.S. stations.

Sometimes on good DX nights I can hear the station in Portland, Oregon, KXPD. Mostly what I've heard (when I've actually heard the station) is the same CRI English programming I've heard on SW.

I myself am not bothered by it. China and the U.S. have to figure out how to get along. China is one of our largest trading partners and apparently own a lot of U.S. debt. It may not be a pretty relationship, but it seems like goodwill between both countries needs to increase, not decrease.

And if these stations are putting out 'propaganda' it can't be any worse than the stuff that flies across the radio and TV airwaves here in the U.S. each election season.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 2025 UTC »
<Quote>
"And if these stations are putting out 'propaganda' it can't be any worse than the stuff that flies across the radio and TV airwaves here in the U.S. each election season."

This is so true but most of us realize it as fact... the others vote for ....  Oh never mind, the Doctor wants me to stay out of politico stuff... blood pressure you know  ::)

I have listened to a few of the broadcasts and like I said before... it makes 'Mr. Rogers Neighbourhood' sound like intense drama.

I do wish they would at least try to improve on the audio, the times I have heard them the audio was low and...  a bit nasty...  like the audio is injected into a low level RF stage and the class B RF output stage was mis-tuned... a weird distortion and not listen-able for a length of time or maybe it's just me... 

Anyone else hear what I am hearing on the signal?  All of my receivers detect the same thing and the audio on most stations seems OK...   <sigh>
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!