We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Did scientists just pick up the first alien radio waves  (Read 2990 times)

Fansome

Did scientists just pick up the first alien radio waves
« on: November 27, 2015, 1859 UTC »

Did scientists just pick up the first intelligent radio waves from a distant ALIEN planet?
ASTRONOMERS have picked up five mysterious unidentified radio signals that could originate from OUTSIDE the Milky Way.
By Jon Austin
PUBLISHED: 10:53, Fri, Nov 27, 2015 | UPDATED: 15:08, Fri, Nov 27, 2015

The "fast radio bursts" included one "double signal" never heard before and have left astronomers buzzing with excitement over the possibility of it being a message with alien origins.

Only 11 of the unidentified transient radio pulses have been recorded before around the world.

And it is the curious new double blast - which was accompanied by four "singles" - which has baffled astronomers analysing data from the Parkes radio telescope in New South Wales, Australia.

Emily Petroff from Swinburne University, in Melbourne, one of the team who discovered the signals, believes the origin could be more remarkable than anything recorded before.

She tweeted: "We have no idea what's going on, but we know it's definitely something cool.”

The discovery is being compared in significance to the recording of the "Wow signal" - a strong narrowband radio wave found by Jerry Ehman in 1977.

That radio burst, picked up by the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University in the United States, bore all the expected hallmarks of non-terrestrial origin but has not been detected since.

Fast radio bursts (FRBs) were first discovered from records in 2007, and we finally saw one in real-time last year.

However, there has never, until now, been a double blast.

They are quick-fire bursts of radio energy, originating from great distances away, and, as a result, must have contained a huge amount of energy.

The source remains a total mystery.

Seemingly similar readings which excited astronomers earlier this year called perytons at the time were later found to be coming from microwave ovens on Earth being prematurely opened in the canteens of observatories where observations were being taken.

The announcement in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society of the five new signals has left the research community on tenet hooks.

The team said the double burst FRB (called 121002) had a "clear two-component profile".

They say each component is similar to the known population of single component FRBs and are separated by 2.4 milliseconds.

They added: “Many of the proposed models to explain FRBs use a single high energy event involving compact objects (such as neutron star mergers) and therefore cannot easily explain a two-component FRB.”

The news comes just days after a research paper claimed FRBs were the result of mergers between black holes and neutron stars.

FRB 121002 has the largest delay yet recorded of any frequency picked up, suggesting it has an origin of an immense distance away - probably several billion light-years beyond our own galaxy the Milky way.

More conventional theories for the bursts include them being created by evaporating black holes, supergiant pulsar pulses or the collapse of epically large stars.

But the team said it was difficult to match any of these with the double bast, suggesting that intelligent origin was a serious possibility.

Nigel Watson, author of the UFO Investigations Manual, said: "Every unusual signal from outer space encourages us to wonder if it is from an alien civilisation.

"It would be fantastic if this is an alien signal as the knowledge that we are not alone in this vast universe would have a dramatic impact on our perception of our place in the scheme of things.

"It would certainly give the opportunity for UFO spotters to say we told you aliens exist and take an interest in our activities, and you didn't believe us."

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Did scientists just pick up the first alien radio waves
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 2214 UTC »
I just ate a Milky Way and I think someone put something in it, because now I'm hearing strange sounds and having feelings of alienation :o
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 0340 UTC »
Milky Way and Coke tends to do that....

But do like me...  Play your Rock music very very loud so you won't hear the voices in your head ;-)

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 1251 UTC »
Actually it was Sprite and I've been playing music so loud over the years that now I have to listen real hard to hear the voices. If it wasn't for those voices I wouldn't have anyone to talk to.... :o
I think I'll try some Starburst and Sprite today :)
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Nella F.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 2351 UTC »

"ZooTs" are better on an empty stomach"
                                                             8)

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 0010 UTC »
I think I'll try some Starburst and Sprite today :)

Should be OK.  Just be careful of Mentos and Diet Coke...
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 0556 UTC »
Take my advice: Don't mix mint Mentos and apple cider.  Ewwww. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 0615 UTC »
I'd have never taken you for a Moon Loon, Al. I'm surprised and disappointed.

It was determined those '07 signals were coming from a cheap CFL in Brisbane. Seven or eight years is the average lifetime of CFL's of that generation. The homeowner has obviously used another of the crappy bulbs to replace the first.

What's next with you? Hosting weekly seances at the Great Pyramid?

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 2300 UTC »
Mentos and Diet Coke...sounds like a good way to empty that bottle of soda pronto...Mentos and Apple Cider sounds like a good way to empty the contents of one's stomach pronto...I would have liked that ZooT's idea a few decades ago...a couple of those and perhaps I could wrap my head around the concept of a neutron star merging with a black hole...on a cosmic scale, I'm sure it rates right up there with the finest of celestial events.... ;D

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 1935 UTC »
That's it.   They're coming for us.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 1939 UTC »
That's it.   They're coming for us.

I'm buying me an RV and heading to Pahrump.  I think they're coming in peace.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net