We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: netSDR Downconverter Board (VHF/UHF)  (Read 2362 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
netSDR Downconverter Board (VHF/UHF)
« on: November 27, 2015, 1712 UTC »
I just installed the downconverter board for the netSDR the other day. Works great. Two notes:

1. You need to update to the latest firmware (1.13) for it to be recognized. Once you do this. it "just works" in any SDR app. As soon as you tune above 40 MHz or so, it switches to the downconverter.
2. Update the FPGAs to the latest version as well. Until I did this, I was getting odd behavior from the radio, it would internally reset to 10 MHz each time I left run mode. Once I did that, all was well.

I am still using the HF antenna with this, a 670 ft sky loop is not really ideal for VFH/UHF. There is an option to use another antenna with the downconverter, eventually I will order the a piece of coax with the IPX U.fl connector.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 1720 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree