We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ?? IC-7410 modding  (Read 4627 times)

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
?? IC-7410 modding
« on: December 02, 2015, 2210 UTC »
should i modify a  IC-7410 for use on ssb on the pirate freqs ??  or should i  stick with a radio manufactured for that band ??

"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity.

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
Re: ?? IC-7410 modding
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 2238 UTC »
that second question is a doozy isn't it ::)

that guy in New Zealand could have possibly ended up becoming a pirate. but now we may never know.
all he did was ask a simple question.
Has anyone used one out of band?
and he gets WHY? and  If that is your only goal, then stick with a radio manufactured for that band.

kind of dumb answers when you stop to think what the HFU is about.
or was it because he mentioned 11 meters??

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 2324 UTC »
Not at all, it was an honest answer and not meant to be antagonistic on my end (nothing to be angry about). I wouldn't tell someone who wants to only operate in 11 meter to run out and spend better than a G bill for a radio. Second, he sent me an email with a one liner asking me about how it operates out of band. I tried to reply to that message asking him who this was and what are his intentions with said set (i.e. AM, SSB?) so I could give a better answer (yep, I like to know who I'm replying to, silly me). That message bounced with a message "unknown error" which sends up a couple of red flags but may also be nothing but a server error.

So today I responded instead to his thread, I was met with a second nasty email which I again attempted to actually respond to kindly (now knowing who he was) and ignoring his insults (I have thick skin), explaining what I thought of the radio, probably answering more of his question than he expected. It bounced with a message that my email is "banned". So given that, his diving off the deep-end early on etc etc, I could really care less at this point.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 0119 UTC »
Not at all, it was an honest answer and not meant to be antagonistic on my end (nothing to be angry about). I wouldn't tell someone who wants to only operate in 11 meter to run out and spend better than a G bill for a radio. Second, he sent me an email with a one liner asking me about how it operates out of band. I tried to reply to that message asking him who this was and what are his intentions with said set (i.e. AM, SSB?) so I could give a better answer (yep, I like to know who I'm replying to, silly me). That message bounced with a message "unknown error" which sends up a couple of red flags but may also be nothing but a server error.

So today I responded instead to his thread, I was met with a second nasty email which I again attempted to actually respond to kindly (now knowing who he was) and ignoring his insults (I have thick skin), explaining what I thought of the radio, probably answering more of his question than he expected. It bounced with a message that my email is "banned". So given that, his diving off the deep-end early on etc etc, I could really care less at this point.
ahh ok i see what ya mean.  strange things happen behind the scene in pirate land.
just wondering whats your opinion on that particular radio ?
i actually have a chance to pick one up cheap with some other equipment.

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 0147 UTC »
It really is a nice radio. In AM mode for transmission, with the low level modulation, it isn't the greatest for that mode (there are mods to improve AM ALC reaction found on the NET). Really nice in SSB but its only capable of about or a little over 3/khz transmitted bandwidth. If "eSSB" is what you're looking for, there are better choices, nice receiver though.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 2040 UTC »
It really is a nice radio. In AM mode for transmission, with the low level modulation, it isn't the greatest for that mode (there are mods to improve AM ALC reaction found on the NET). Really nice in SSB but its only capable of about or a little over 3/khz transmitted bandwidth. If "eSSB" is what you're looking for, there are better choices, nice receiver though.
with a schematic diagram and knowledge, you can easily modify the AM AF bandwidth for TX.
most low level modulation transceivers utilize an IC for low level AM/SSB modulation like the SN16913, its as simple as finding the input pin, disconnecting the rest of the audio circuit prior to it and connecting your own input, its the audio amp circuit prior to this input pin which changes the AF frequency response.
the Yaesu FT-757GX (MK1/MK2) is an easy example of this, you can achieve as low as 20Hz and as high as 20Khz AF though i dont really see a reason to go beyond 10Khz AF for music/speech, with this radio, its as easy as disconnecting the copper trail to the input pin and adding a 50K input resistor (leaving the tantalum caps and 100K resistor in place for input balance), this will allow you a 0.5VPP input with an AF range of 20/20 for AM TX though i recommend using an AF filter to cutoff anything above 10Khz.
with this type of knowledge, you could TX in more modes than just AM/SSB, a few examples of additional modes are DSB (USB+LSB) or a choice of upper/lower suppressed AM.
when it comes to modulation, the limits are only set by the design of transceiver that you use.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns