We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Why us millennials are scared  (Read 1588 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Why us millennials are scared
« on: December 03, 2015, 0203 UTC »
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why us millennials are scared
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 0835 UTC »
I think the bigger problem is the inmates are running the asylum.  You also have a media that is sensationalizing events to further their numbers and push their agenda.  With freedom comes a cost, which I am willing to pay to be free.  The risk of being involved in a mass shooting or terrorist attack in this country is practically zero.  I would rather experience a slight rise in that risk than have half of my rights and privacy taken away with the promise of safety from a government that can't deliver.

I hate the term 'millennial', not all of us are facebook-whoring-phone-dragging-numbskulls.

Just my three cents ;)

+-RH
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 0839 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 1036 UTC »
You got use something to define yourself. Besides the guys at the FRN have already taken "The He-Man Woman Haters Club". Kracker bears an amazing resemblance to Alfalfa.

Now to serious stuff.

I used to like to stay at a Moroccan run hotel in St. Denis, where the Paris attacks took place. In those days Carlos the Jackal and the Red Army Faction were blowing western Europe apart. The French govt. had made a backdoor deal with leftist terrorists in Europe and pro-Palestinian groups from the Middle East. If said groups didn't commit acts of terror in France, they were given a discreet safe haven to operate. Carlos lived in Paris much of the time, and being a rich boy, lived well.

One night I'm sleeping soundly in my hotel room when I was awakened by a big blast. One faction of a post war Vietnamese group had blown up a store two doors down belonging to an opposing faction. The residents of the neighborhood spent most the night in the street waiting for the building inspectors to pronounce it safe to go back inside.

It was very surreal, a somber but impromptu neighborhood block party while the rescue squad removed the victims. I guess the French didn't have the same deal with the Vietnamese as they did the other groups?

Two days later the store was boarded up and it was as if nothing happened. Europeans in the 70's and 80's were accustomed to random acts of terror.

The French have played both ends against the middle re; the Middle East since the 1840's, and in Syria in particular since the end of WWI. It came back to bite them in St. Denis in a big way a couple of weeks back.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 1222 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns