We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Tis the Season  (Read 2330 times)

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tis the Season
« on: December 03, 2015, 2028 UTC »
We had fairly mild weather in the weekend following Turkey Day, and everyone in the 'hood got their holiday decorations out, including myself.  Probably not coincidentally, I have been noting a new QRN in the 43M band which commenced last Sunday.

It appears to be related to 60 Hz mains, but doesn't have the raspy spastic nature that I have observed when something goes bad on a power pole.  It is a kinder gentler background buzz which raises my normally S2-3 noise floor to S3-4.  The software noise blanker easily handles the audible noise, but when rendered it does obscure very weak signals in the SDR waterfall.  All in all, not a major problem.

For the most part, the shielded Wellbrook loop is effective against this.  The unshielded resonant loop I prefer to use can see it, but since that loop is on a rotator, I can get pretty good suppression on the noise.  I can also get a pretty good idea of where it is, and the null points pretty much right at a neighbor's house, and possibly a lighted tree.

So, just wondering: anybody else seeing any new noises now that the Holiday Lighting Season is upon us?

Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
Re: Tis the Season
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 2043 UTC »
Yep, sure am, and I surmised for the same reasons. Christmas lights abound all over ;)
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

JoeFLIPS

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 0021 UTC »
Same situation here. Normal S2-3 noise level is now an S5 but the noise blanker button brings it back down to normal.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 0114 UTC »
I live in a historical district and the neighbors love to light those old houses up. We moved in about this time of year when we bought the place. I tried to listen to a sports show on a local AM station via a Walkman  that evening, it was hash from one end of the band to the other.

I was ready to sell the place until it hit me what it was. Once I got the good radios unpacked and set-up over the next couple of weeks, the noise blanker trick Joe mentioned killed most of it.

I did find a new hobby that winter, dx'ing the Xmas light timers in the neighborhood.

JoeFLIPS

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 0208 UTC »
Did you get any QSLs from the Xmas light timers Pigmeat?  ;D

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 0221 UTC »
Not a one. I carefully wrapped the reports around rocks and threw them through their windows. Lee Reynolds swore it would work. All that showed up were cops and restraining orders.

The moral of the story? Never trust a man that smells as bad as he looks.

JoeFLIPS

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 0228 UTC »
LOL! I remember meeting Lee at one of JTAs 4th of July parties back in the 90s. Good times!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 0500 UTC »
I haven't heard from Lee in about a decade. I wonder if he's still around?

Nella F.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 0019 UTC »
Aha! So That's why the rise in the qrm. Damn. It's bad enough the best I can do is taping a fishing reel antenna to the ceiling, no the roof is aluminum siding. Great antenna for any & all (& now xmas electric noise) signals. I thought our sun was acting up or sumpin... hey... is it 4:20 yet!  8)  Heh Heh Heh