We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Odd behavior from Ameritron Amplifier  (Read 14220 times)

jackson_r

Re: Odd behavior from Ameritron Amplifier
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2015, 0005 UTC »
Thank you, sir, for the advice!  No updates as of late.  The boat anchor is sitting in the corner of the office collecting dust right now as I prepare to leave on a month long trip to South America.  I'll have to get poking around when I get back.  By then those capacitors should all be well discharged.   ;D

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Odd behavior from Ameritron Amplifier
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2015, 1611 UTC »
I use to have an insulated screwdriver where the entire length of the shaft, about 1 foot, was insulated except for the tip and at the handle there was a very heavy wire, about 20 inches long, with a huge alligator clip on it for connecting to ground.  The handle appeared to be doubled insulated.

It was great for discharging caps but I never used it for PSU's over 1KV... When I made supplies of 1KV or higher I had huge dropping resistors that would kick in on time delay relays to discharge the caps when the unit powered down.  Also I used sequencers on power up slowly... in some cases I would use variacs for power up. The variacs came in handy for gear that I just picked up and was questionable for operation.  I considered everything that came in as "questionable" in quality...

And don't get the idea that it is just high voltage that can be dangerous  I had a 24 volt supply that had a current output of 50 amps...  It had 10 @ 100,000 MF caps in parallel and that thing tossed a pair of vise grips that got dropped accidentally  on the caps connecting straps and it flew 5 feet into the air and stuck in the ceiling of my lab... It sounded like a 12 ga shot gun blast...

Point is... use great care with any PSU... never take anything for granted... EVER!

Have a great and safe New Year...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!