We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A suggestion - please do not use synthesized speech for IDs  (Read 2678 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
A suggestion - please do not use synthesized speech for IDs
« on: December 23, 2015, 1356 UTC »
Synthesized IDs are quite popular with stations, but are extremely difficult to decipher under poor, or even sometimes average, listening conditions.

There's an interesting paper here that discusses the problems older listeners have with understanding synthesized speech. Much of it has to do with missing frequency content:
http://www.sparc.ac.uk/media/downloads/executivesummaries/exec_summary_wolters.pdf

I suspect the same problem plagues shortwave radio, due to interference, and the narrow bandwidths we sometimes have to employ.  (Not to mention the fact that there's a lot of older listeners) 

This is not a criticism, just a tip - if you want listeners to be able to figure out your station name, make it as easy as possible. This includes having a clear ID, spoken by a real person.  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A suggestion - please do not use synthesized speech for IDs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 1737 UTC »
Many a radio station I have known over the years got a 3 party to do ID's for radio...  even ham radio at one time guys would get some lady friend to do recorded ID's a great kick in some cases.

And Chris you are very right...  whenever my computer comes on with it's own voice... I shut the speakers off... most irritating...

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours and a very Happy New Year filled with great DX :-)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 2154 UTC »
Bumping this back to the top... I think it's worth a re-read.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 2305 UTC »
It is worth a re-read and I fully agree.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 0915 UTC »
I recall reading comments from a number of  pirates that  they deliberately obscured their ids just to annoy the listeners. It seems to have worked.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 1210 UTC »
I recall reading comments from a number of  pirates that  they deliberately obscured their ids just to annoy the listeners. It seems to have worked.

I'm tempted to start posting obscured logs  ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 1757 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 1453 UTC »
I can understand the desire to use a speech synthesized ID. Not everyone wants to offer on air clues to their identity. What can be helpful if you really want to use one is:

• Repeat it a couple of times. Sometimes the second or third time heard is the eureka moment. Slight fading can quickly wipe out the intelligibility of the generated speech.
  • Add some small pauses between words. This allows the brain to analyze what is being heard if it is difficult to understand and catch up before the next word is sent. About a 1/2 to 3/4 of a second between words is a good place to start.
  • Be mindful of the accent used. Surprisingly, I do better with certain British female voices vs. American ones. This will likely be different for other listeners.
  • Use the text generated speech as an interval signal. Broadcast it several times on sign on and sign off in addition to periodically during the broadcast so that the ID can be nailed down.
  • Make sure the audio level is normalized with the rest of your content. Often the difficulty understanding it comes from under or over modulated generated speech.

Just some thoughts as a listener...

- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 1800 UTC »
Σ had some very good suggestions. I'll also add: Send a CW or SSTV ID. Especially SSTV, as not everyone knows CW, and CW decoding software often fails under poor conditions. As a bonus, listeners can use the frequency offset information provided by my Black Cat SSTV app to retune stations that are off frequency  :)

https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/sstv.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 2111 UTC »
My problem with SSTV is I forget to turn on the decoder most of the time. :)  But SSTV does help with positive ID quite a bit, I agree.

CW if sent slow enough will allow you to copy the characters individually and then do a look up on a Morse chart.

Will all these suggestions give someone an idea to start a "no content but ID in 50 different ways" pirate station?  :D
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 2113 UTC »
Surprisingly, I do better with certain British female voices vs. American ones.

Me too Especially when it's Elizabeth Hurley.    And I'm not a Real Person just an incredible simulation..  8)

tAC
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 1018 UTC »
Synthesized IDs are quite popular with stations, but are extremely difficult to decipher under poor, or even sometimes average, listening conditions.

There's an interesting paper here that discusses the problems older listeners have with understanding synthesized speech. Much of it has to do with missing frequency content:
http://www.sparc.ac.uk/media/downloads/executivesummaries/exec_summary_wolters.pdf

I suspect the same problem plagues shortwave radio, due to interference, and the narrow bandwidths we sometimes have to employ.  (Not to mention the fact that there's a lot of older listeners) 

This is not a criticism, just a tip - if you want listeners to be able to figure out your station name, make it as easy as possible. This includes having a clear ID, spoken by a real person.  :)

I did an awful lot of audio processing on the few that I had made, to make them more copyable--  running them thru the amplifiers, and high and low pass filters on "Wavepad" and then testing them through a transmitter. 

I had used an ATT website to create the originals, but I remember now that they were very muffled and unreadable the first time they ran on the air, until I had worked them over.

You are certainly right, none of the voice synthesizers I used made fit copy for broadcast without considerable reworking of the audio.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums