We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: any ideas on the 6770khz old time radio station?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
any ideas on the 6770khz old time radio station?
« on: December 23, 2015, 2301 UTC »
This station has got me interested for two reasons,  I'm an old time radio fan and it seems to be on the air a lot, hours wise, with no ID or interest in QSLing (to my knowledge).

I've only heard it with a good signal a few times but I do hear enough of a signal to know it's there...  seldom being able to use the AM mode on receive but more often than not, using USB or LSB.

With propagation being what it is and the times of operation I don't understand where the broadcasts are meant to be heard or even if they are meant to be heard by anyone in particular.  Weird is the word I guess.

Anyone tried to do a generalized DF?

Any ideas???

vw   

ps. GOOD NEWS: The tornado watch is over for my area and my vertical is still standing <sigh> ;-)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: any ideas on the 6770khz old time radio station?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 0926 UTC »
I still say it's some old geezer rebroadcasting the shows to his garage or outbuilding on his "shortwave wireless mic" that he picked up at a local pawn shop, and he has no idea how far they are actually going...

that's my story, and I'm sticking to it :D

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 1248 UTC »
LOL!

That's almost exactly how the Radio Animal told me he got the idea for the Grenade. Some ham in the Carolina's slapped together a little tube transmitter to rebroadcast audio to a transistor radio in a shed. It  was outputting about 4-5 watts and being heard up and down the East Coast.

The RA told me if that guy could do that with five watts, why not try it with ten?

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 1356 UTC »
Anyone tried to do a generalized DF?

Any ideas???

vw   
OTR is one of those many wonderful puzzles that make shortwave radio - and pirate radio in particular - so much fun for me.  Vince, I'm located in upstate NY and I often receive OTR with an S6 or S7 signal in the daylight hours with very little QSB.  I guess that says it is in my neck of the woods - which I'm sure the Feds could figure out in about 5 seconds flat.  Beyond that, I think I'd rather NOT know.  Mysteries add spice to the SWLing sauce...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 1454 UTC »
Old Time Radio is one of those great stations that goes bump in the night, and the daytime; heck it goes bump 24/7.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 0358 UTC »
Thank you folks for your comments.  It appears that you all feel the same about this one as I.  <heh>  I use to 'broadcast' to my wood shed back in the 1970's and I think that is what this OTR station is about.

Consider the fact that there is no kind of ID at all this person has not interest in others hearing him/her, in fact they may have no idea anyone can hear the signal.

I get a fair copy on the station but that is more than likely because I am stuck using a vertical antenna and I am not on high ground. My next QTH may well be a bamboo hut on a certain island, at least that is what I am shooting for, my Lady is good with that idea so the only thing that is keeping me here is... $ and that should soon be taken care of.  Where? the other side of the earth.

To all of you folks, Merry Christmas, or what ever thing you might celebrate, be good and don't over consume ;-)  And the best of DX to you all in the New Year!

Now for me to get back to reading; 'A Moon and Six Pence' for the 100th time :-)

73 later... 
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!