We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers..."Take Down Your Sign"  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers..."Take Down Your Sign"
« on: December 23, 2015, 2345 UTC »
Huh? Must be those damned free range chickens creating mayhem....

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-337032A1.html
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 2228 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: Raising Cane Chicken Fingers..."Take Down Your Sign"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 0022 UTC »
Operating an LED sign without a broadcasting license.  Oh, they are in trouble now....

Feathers will be flying...

You know, since their "sign" is not really 'radio broadcasting equipment',
this must all be confusing the hell out of the chicken people...

and, how can they "cease operation of this broadcasting station"
when they don't really have one?!

And, can you hook that sign up to a 1kw linear amplifier?

:D

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 0027 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 1714 UTC »
The agent found an outdoor LED sign, when in use, generated a spurious signal on 126.0 MHz at 6513 W Park Blvd location. Also, at the 1000 W 15th Street, when in use, another LED sign, when in use, generated a spurious signal on 126.0088 MHz.

Spewing junk into the VHF aviation band is likely to earn you a visit, whether pirate operator or sign owner.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 1849 UTC »
The agent found an outdoor LED sign, when in use, generated a spurious signal on 126.0 MHz at 6513 W Park Blvd location. Also, at the 1000 W 15th Street, when in use, another LED sign, when in use, generated a spurious signal on 126.0088 MHz.

Spewing junk into the VHF aviation band is likely to earn you a visit, whether pirate operator or sign owner.

However, using the "form letter" language under such strange circumstances is really pretty damned lazy.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers..."Take Down Your Sign"
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 2225 UTC »
There is certainly no argument against the validity of the FCC's concern with the safety of the nearby aviation operations, but the modus operandi that they use in their efforts to remove the spurious radio frequency emissions is more like "we found the gas can the arsonist used to start the fire and we know who owns the gas can, but we can't arrest the arsonist on that alone, so let's serve a warrant on the gas can". That method is the way they conducted the Spanish Inquisition and the Salem Witch trials. A more business friendly approach would be to apprise the owners of the franchise that the signs emissions were placing the safety of the nearby aviation operations in serious jeapordy and that an immediate remedy was necessary. Perhaps the owners have already been notified and did nothing, and that the notice is a reponse by the FCC to an unacceptable situation that was not corrected. I don't know. So I leave you with this picture of the heinous signs causing all this trouble....
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers..."Take Down Your Sign"
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 2254 UTC »
With what limited experience I have had with household LED lighting... man I can have them on when I am using my radio...  OK yeah I bought the cheap ones, me bad but the damned things shouldn't be let into the country.  Cheap China junk...

As for the interference... In this case I am with the FCC 100% but as it was stated from someone else... a 'form letter'...  give me a break I doubt it would hold up in court, lighting is not a transmitter.

I have said this before, the best thing that the FCC could do is to make sure this, so called, part 15 junk is just that, part 15 and not broadcasting for miles and miles.  There is no excuse for this crap being let into this country... period...

rant over

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!