We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UFO - Lord Almighty! (CO and Calif desert Dasher)  (Read 2168 times)

Offline mark-n-nut

• View Profile
UFO - Lord Almighty! (CO and Calif desert Dasher)
« on: February 10, 2010, 2219 UTC »

Just got home from the doctors office (not quite 2 hours) and sat down and ran thru the daytime beacon memories on the R75 and found CO coming in on the 40 meter dipole so switched up to the 30 meter dipole and it was stronger there!  First Time I have been around to catch some prop to CO since last year!  Feeling frisky why I punched up the next memory to the 12889 Calif Desert dasher beacon, and there it was/is!   Well now should I go for the next one!  The infamous and never heard here before UFO memory location.  I pushed the button, nothing, but wait right there at the bottom of the argo screen there was something...  a little counter clockwise spin to the VFO dial and there is a dash!!! be still my heart!!  both on the screen and in my ears!  Lord Almighty!!  The UFO dasher is paying a visit to Northern Utah at 2200 UTC Feb 10 2010!  I turned the 1000mp on with the 3 ele tribander and its audilbe there as well.  Get this tho, I was hearing UFO better on the 12 meter dipole on the R75 than the tribander on the the 1000MP,  Go figure...   :o

Alleliua!!

The 8000 beacons were all audible as well!  Except the S beacon 8000.

73, Mark in NUT
R-75
Wellbrook 1530 Loop
Dipoles
QTH - Northern UT (NUT)
DN41af

Offline mark-n-nut

• View Profile
Re: UFO - Lord Almighty! (CO and Calif desert Dasher)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 2223 UTC »

Whoops I erred!  My cheat sheet was still calling it UFO, when in fact it goes by the name of Peanut these days.  My error

Mark in NUT
R-75
Wellbrook 1530 Loop
Dipoles
QTH - Northern UT (NUT)
DN41af

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 0036 UTC »
Feeling frisky why I punched up the next memory to the 12889 Calif Desert dasher beacon, and there it was/is!

Mark,

If the 12889 California Desert dasher you are talking about is the one that was on 12888.8 kHz at the same general time as the D/V test beacon was up then this can not be what you heard.

The person who put the 12888.8 kHz beacon up has tried it on several different frequencies, including 5111.8 and something around 8 mHz.  It is currently on 4102.8 kHz and has been for more than a month.  I reported the 4102.8 signal a while back, but last week I reported it again, and the owner emailed me after reading the report on this forum, telling me it was the same beacon.
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 1237 UTC »
Don't ya love a mystery!
 ;D
Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!

Offline mark-n-nut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 0026 UTC »

Ummm..  I heard the 12889.184 Dasher on Wednesday afternoon, 2 days ago.  I heard it over a period of a half hour at least, checking on it, CO and Peanut.  Propagation was great for the freq range then.  Listening this afternoon though none of them have been heard.   I will watch for it over the long weekend and if I catch it I will .wav it and argo screen capture it.

I have been hearing the 4102 beacon here this week as well.  Though very weak with QSB.  The 12889 dasher was as strong as CO.

Good Luck!

Mark in NUT
R-75
Wellbrook 1530 Loop
Dipoles
QTH - Northern UT (NUT)
DN41af

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 1719 UTC »
 ???  ???  ???
The 12.888(9)tx is a mystery to me???
I would be hearing the original one that worked last fall but not a thing from central Fl.

Hmmmmmm...????
weaksigs
Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!